Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Speedometer gears, will they work in a transfer case

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Dunc03, Feb 4, 2004.

1. Dunc03

Dunc03 1/2 ton status

I'm having trouble finding speedometer gears in my area, and I know I can get 700r4 tranny gears from Bowtie Overdrive . My question is this, can anyone confirm that 700r4 speedometer gears will fit in a 208 transfer case. I have heard that these gear will interchange, but they were from sources that I did not fully trust. I'd hate to have them shipped from California and then not work. So if anyone knows if they will fit let me know. Thanks

2. mccomas

mccomas 1/2 ton status

i am trying to work this as well. i have called bowtie for the last two days trying to get someone on the phone to ask the question... i am assuming that it is the same; but would like some confirmation...

3. Dunc03

Dunc03 1/2 ton status

hey man if you find anything out let me know. Thanks for the info.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

No one has pictures of the transfer case gears?

I can probably get pictures of the 208 parts. I was a the wrecking yard one time and a shattered 208 was laying on the ground, so I grabbed all of what looked to be the speedometer gear parts.

IIRC there were 3 gears in the 208 pieces I picked up, definitely only 2 gears in a 700. Like I said though, the 208 was shattered, so these pieces could have been something else, although I did get the driven gear housing (what the cable threads onto) so the(a?) driven gear will be obvious.

5. mccomas

mccomas 1/2 ton status

this is what i found on line for the 700r4 (i am using a 15/41 as my example): a 41 tooth driven gear is gm part 1362195, the 15 tooth drive gear is part 8642620 and the 40-45 housing is 1362294. this info was consistent from a few different sites.

now this is what i found from my gm dealer for my 208 x-fer case: a 41 tooth driven gear is gm part 1362195, the 15 tooth drive gear is part 1437997 and the 40-45 housing is 1362293.

bottom line: it looks like the driven gear is the same for the 700r4 and the 208 x-fer case and the drive gear and housing are different. i was hoping that they were the same because i thought that the 60.00 price tag for the set-up from bowtie would be a far better deal than i would find from the dealer. however, this did not turn out to be the case. from my dealer, i was able to pick up the drive gear, driven gear, o ring and housing (aka "sleeve") for 64 bones out the door. at bowtie, it was 60 before shipping and the only thing that i did not get from the dealer was the screw and clip. based on this, just pop down to your dealer and order from them. i will receive these parts on friday and will post some additional feedback after i install them...

6. Dunc03

Dunc03 1/2 ton status

thanks for the update, let me know how the install goes. Did you use bowties calculator to find out what gears you needed, or something else. Theirs told me i needed an 18/37 combination. Could you post the website you got the part number from. Thanks for all the help guys.

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

FWIW, a friend of mine that I trust greatly in his automotive knowledge, states that the online calculators are almost worthless. They are too far off in almost all the cases he has seen and dealt with.

FWIW, it IS just what someone told me, but I believe him without question on this.

8. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

not trying to sound rude but your friend doesn't know what he's talking about.

I used the online calculator on TCi's website and it was dead-on accurate.

You just need to know the drive gear and the driven gear (in my case, in my NP208, the drive gear was blue). I imagin if you just assume that this gear is the same on all vehicles, that it will not be the case.

http://www.tciauto.com/tech_info/speedo_gears.htm

FWIW, I found my new gear at the dealer for less than $10 (around $7 I think)

9. mccomas

mccomas 1/2 ton status

i changed the driven gear (this is the easy one) and the sleeve last week and i finally got around to replacing the drive gear today. it was no problem - i drained about a quart or so of the t-case fluid and just removed the speedo cable, driven gear sleeve, driven gear and the 4 bolts holding the tail shaft cover. once the bolts were removed, i had to tap on the cover a bit until it came free. the old drive gear slipped right off and i slid the new one on. i used the calculator on bowtie's web site. i used some rtv on the cover and bolted it back up. i am going to let the rtv set up before i put fluid in and take it for a spin. as someone shared with me, there is a plastic disc that fits between the tail shaft cover and t-case; it is a pain to get it to stay in place when you re-install the cover - it will only go in one way. for 60 bones (got all parts from my local dealer) and a few quarts of fluid, i think it is worth the time to change these out. i got lucky because my ghetto tires and current 4:10 gear set will use the same combo as 36s and 4:88. i should not have to change again...

[​IMG]

10. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

The 2wd tranny gears will not work in the 208.
    In the picture above you can see exactly what the transfercase drive gear looks like, and that it is splined on the inside as well. The drive gear for the 2wd tranny is not splined and is much thinner/shorter (there is a nice pic on the bowtieoverdive web site). However the driven gears are the same in both the 208 and 2wd tranny. There are only three gears available for the 208 (per the dealer I deal with) I think they were the black, grey, and light green (don't quote me on that as I only have a light green and gray here). So you have to work your combo out to use one of those three drive gears. Kinda sucks but it worked out alright for me and most folks I've seen.

11. jmd

jmd Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    not trying to sound rude but your friend doesn't know what he's talking about.
    I used the online calculator on TCi's website and it was dead-on accurate.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have never found an online calculator that gave the same numbers for drive / driven as a known accurate factory GM automotive application.

I realize it's not a truck app., but for a 215/65R15 tyre, 700-R4 trans, and 3.73 rear, GM used 15drive / 45driven. For the same combo with 200-4R, they used 10drive / 30driven. For the same combo with T5, they used 7drive / 21 driven. For 200-4R, 3.42 / same tyre, they used 11drive / 30 driven. Those aren't the only combos I've run through the "online calculators," just ones i remember off the top of my head that I have personally used, verified at the dealer, and driven in my own cars.

When I entered those in, TCI gave different gear tooth numbers.

How do you know TCi's was dead-on accurate? If it's right, why did GM keep putting the "wrong" gears in transmissions back when they still used speedometer gears and not reluctor rings / VSS setups?

If I don't know what I'm talking about, then GM doesn't either. Keep in mind, GM's transmission / speedometer research budgets are probably hundreds of times larger than TCi's entire R&D budget. I know who I trust. How about you?

Matthew