Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

speedometer help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sandawgk5, Jan 15, 2004.

1. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

O.K. here it goes. I am looking to change out the stock gauges in my 87 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif with a complete set of autometer gauges including trans temp in place of the factory clock. Anyway when I change the speedometer I am confused as to which I should use elec or mech. My speedo is mech but has the vss in the speedo autometer does not. They have electric with a hal-effect adapter for gm cables can this send appropriate signal to ecm or am i just S.O.L on this. Any help and all help is welcome.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'd say talk to autometer and see what they say. You need a 2 pulse VSS, FWIW.

jagsthatrun.com sells adapters, I believe one of them they sell is what you would need, you can run it "inline" with the cable, so you could connect it back at the tcase or tranny (if 2wd) and still have VSS.

3. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Do you know if that can supply both cruise and speedo or does the cruise input an electronic output of the speedo. I believe cruise uses 4000ppm signal.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Cruise usees same signal as the ECM does, but that is likely based on year...GM wouldn't use one 2 pulse and 4 pulse (or whatever) on the same rig, they'd have to duplicate parts.

I would imagine since it's an "electrical out" from the adapter, you could just T the wire, and run one to each? You'll have to look at what they offer.

5. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I swapped in a full set of AutoMeter Ultralites in place of the stock gauges. I got the 5" Mech Speedo and as of now there is NO VSS but I will be adding it SOON or swapping to a MPFI on the BBC that won't need a VSS...

Chris

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

VSS wasnt until at least 92, so im not sure what is going on with what youre trying to do, personally i would leave dash alone, if all the guages work, and save yourself headache

good luck

7. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

My 87 speedo has a speed sensor built into back of speedo. But I plan on putting the electronic speedo in my 73. That way I can calibrate for tire sizes and have a speedo thats right!