Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Speedometer issues

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Skyetone, Jul 3, 2004.

1. Skyetone

Skyetone 1/2 ton status

Well I just completed a frame up resto / body swap to a 70 3/4 toy 4x chassis. Quick history.......
    I had a 70 LD 3/4ton 2wd. well I dropped a valve into the old 350. So I bought a 1970 HD 3/4ton 4wd. But the body on the 4x was c20. It was in bad shape, but has a clean 402BB. So i restored the 2wd body and threw it on the 4wd frame (sounds SOOOO easy /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif ) Well the speedo wants to be 20-30 MPH faster than it should be. At first it would not work, then I'd hit a bump going into my driveway and it would rotate 360* Well I took it out of the trans case and wouund it backwards because it would stop at 30mph with the truck not running. Well then it sits at 20mph. WTF? I thought it was JUST a cable.........

2. Skyetone

Skyetone 1/2 ton status

so it really is a strange issue.....

3. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I don't have much for you but search for some of Steve Chin's posts on the issue. He posted up some cool equation and a bunch of other speedo info a LONG time ago.

4. Skyetone

Skyetone 1/2 ton status

Yea I dunno what the deal is... When I get back from paint I will screw with it.... Was steves thread in first gen forum?

5. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

It was in the 1st gen forum. I don't think he posted anywhere else (and he hasen't posted sence before this site was pay to play).

6. Skyetone

Skyetone 1/2 ton status

Thanx..... I'll look around and see what I can find. PLus I get the rig back from paint tommorow. I'll play with it then.

7. Skyetone

Skyetone 1/2 ton status

and they said this board KNOWS IT ALL /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif I don't get it either... Comon people ask around... Or how hard is it to just change out a factory speedo for a factory speedo?

8. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    I am curious if you used the speedo from the 2 wheel drive truck, which would connect to the transmission instead of the 4 wheel drive truck which connects to the transfer case if that could be the problem. You should just be able to swap cables, If that doesnt work swap dash clusters. You can easily take the guage cluster off and put the back of the 4 by cluster in the bezel of the 2 wheel drive cluster if it is in better shape. I have mine out right now and a spare that I stole the oil guage out of so it could be driven around without spitting oil all over. Good Luck

Also you didn't say what size tires you have now and obviously that could make a whale of a difference.