Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Speedometer not working

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k104salend, Sep 9, 2004.

1. k104salend

k104salend Newbie

Im trying to get my speedometer on my 80 K10 to work so it will be more attractive to buyers. It has this aluminum cased thing on the drivers side fender thats about 3x5 inches, has 3 wires 1 vacumm line and 2 speedometer cables attached to it. Then on the T case it has a smaller elaborate thing besides just a place for a cable to hook up to. What does this do?? the cable that was from the t case to the bigger aluminum thing was frayed so my buddy removed it when he owned it then ran another speedo cable, but that didnt fix the problem of the gauge not working. Also the cables inside thing doesnt spin when the truck is moving. What could be the causes of this whole delema??

PS tried search but could either get nothing or a couple thousand posts that had nothing to do with the subject.

Thanks

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

that think on the fender is for the cruise control. check both cables, they seem to go bad everyonce in a while. the only place that i know of that you can get the housing and the cable new is the dealer. you could try a junk yard tough.

Welcome to CK5 /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. k104salend

k104salend Newbie

thanks for a quick reply, this truck seems pretty bare bones to have cruise control, where did they put the on off switches?? On the steering wheel because thats not original and thats a possibility. Do all Chevy trucks with TH350s have the smaller part attached to the T case as I described or is that cruise control as well??

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If I understand your descriptions right, sounds like you have cruise control (the "box" that the cables go into is the transducer) and a speedometer gear "adapter" which changes the transmission output to fix changes based on tire size, or axle ratio, instead of changing the speedometer gears themselves.

If you remove the cable from the transducer that runs to the speedometer, and spin it with a drill, does the speedo work?

If it does, try and find the right size cable to bypass the transducer.

5. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

if its what i think it is its just a speedo correction box for bigger tires.

the switch should be on the end on the blinker switch.