Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Speedometer Question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Quackaddict, Aug 18, 2006.

1. Quackaddict

Quackaddict 1/2 ton status

Apr 2, 2006
    OK school me up on this. I finally got to drive my truck yesterday for the first time ever. Look down and notice the Speedometer isn't working. I know a little about a lot of things but have never given a speedo a second thought.

It is a 1980 K5 has cruise.

Just trying to get someone to give me an idea of where to start as I am clueless on this. I have a haynes but not sure exactly where to look. I don't think I have VSS as old as it is but could it be a vacuum thing?

Someone please point me in the right direction:o
  2. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Jan 4, 2006
    Speedometers on old style trucks and cars run off a small metal cable. They connect into the transmission and to the back of the speedometer. On a 1979 there is a piece that the cable goes into for the cruise and then to the back of the speedo. On yours I am not sure if it has the little box.

On the 1979 it was on the drivers side inner fender and had a cable that ran to the carb to control the throttle. Maybe someone with an 80 and cruise can help.