Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Speedometer question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 99firehawk, Jan 17, 2004.

1. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

Ok, I need to know what is the term for the part in between the speedo cable and the tc. My speedo is screwing up and I have replaced the cable, the gears are ok and the speedo head works when I spin the cable so thats the only thing I think it can be, so I need to know what it is called.
    thanks

brad

2. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

Speedometer Transducer( the little blocky thing between the cable and TC)
    Bill

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

if you need any speedo parts from a 203 then i have them, in good shape,. there is a short length of shaft that goes inside there between the box and the speedo gear in the case, about an inch or 1.25" long or so,

4. 99firehawk

I have a 208, are they interchangeable, I will probaly just go to the junk yard in the morning and grab one.now that I know what to call it. Thank you guys

5. 99firehawk

What is the purpose of the transducer? Can I eliminate it and just run the cable to the speedo gear using a 2wd speedo gear "housing"?

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Does this piece "offset" the speedo cable from the actual TC speedo driven gear?

If so, thats a ratio adapter. Don't think they used them much later on though.

Thought a transducer was the thing that was used in the engine bay to run cruise control on non-electronic cruise trucks. (pre '83 sometime)

7. 99firehawk

Yeah its offset, is it factory or aftermarket?

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Probably factory. I recall seeing part #'s for these in the '85-86 parts catalog, so they WERE out there.

Of course, someone could have done like me as well, to "fine tune" the speedometer with different tires and rear axle ratios, I just installed one that was darn close to perfect.

The ones I've seen come apart. (seperate in the middle) If you pull it off the vehicle, you should be able to "drive" one end of it with your hand, and watch the other side to see if it works. Of course, the innards could be messed up just enough to not work under the load of the speedo cable, but with no load, might appear to work right.