Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

speedometer removal problems. help!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mr_fujisawa, Dec 31, 2003.

1. mr_fujisawa

mr_fujisawa 1/2 ton status

well, like it says. . .
    i was trying to get all my instruments off so i could paint the back with the dupli coor chrome paint and replace some bulbs too. i am kind of new at this, so maybe it's obvious but i can't figure out how to get the freakin speedometer off. (btw it's an '88 k5) i have a chilton's manual and that was no help at all. i tried to get the cable off out the back but can;t figure that out. i tried to pull the plate off thinking the needle might come off the front, but i didn;t pull too hard as i didn't want to break anything. here's where i am at now:
    [​IMG]
    there's a little bolt that holds the speedometer in two. . .here's a pic. do i need to take that off? help! i am really confused.
    [​IMG]

thanks
    sean

2. crazykev4x4

crazykev4x4 1/2 ton status

u need to push the cable towards the speedo the slack. go under the hood and push the cable into the truck so then u can reach behind the speedo and undo it .

Kevin /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. mr_fujisawa

um. . .ah. . .yeah. that's pretty obvious. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    but thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif got the cable off and now i just need to paint!

sean

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You'll have to let us know how the paint helped. I painted just the backside of the black "filter" piece, didn't touch the housing.

Pretty hard to tell any difference when you can't see them side by side, but I like to think I can. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

5. Ben

Ben Registered Member

When you spray paint the cluster housing also spary paint the back side of the metal cover that "sits" over the cluster. You will get more reflection that way. If you wash off the faces of your gauges, use care, the numbers rub off very easy!

6. mr_fujisawa

shazbot!
    i din't paint the back of the gauges. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif i will have to do that later. for some reason my high beam indicator light isn't working anymore so i do need to go back in there.
    thanks for the tip /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    sean