Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Speedometer??? *revisited* More Help Please

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by zcubed, Oct 28, 2001.

1. zcubed

zcubed Registered Member

Hi, my speedometer quit working. It used to run about 10mph faster than what the speedo showed (shows 40, you're really going 50). It did that for a long time, but just a few days ago, it quit working all together. Does this sound like I need a new speedo gear, or what all should I check? Thank you.

<font color=red>_____________________________________________________</font color=red>
    <font color=blue>I'm hooked on gin and tonics like yo mamma's hooked on phonics!</font color=blue><P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by zcubed on 10/29/01 09:50 PM.</FONT></P>

2. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Re: Speedometer???

I would check the cable, it probably snapped.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&35"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

3. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

You can check the speedo cable by disconnecting it at the t-case. And put a cordless drill on it. Have somebody inside watch the gauge. If it turns. Then it is in your t-case. If not it is your cable or gauge.. Hope this helps...Dan

If it ain't broke.......Don't fix it....
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Gokartergo>KLICK</a>

4. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

mine simply came undone last year. maybe that happened to you, if so, reconnect it and it will work fine.

donate to the "Build Scott's Suburban Foundation"
    scott,
    1989 GMC suburban 3/4t 4" lift soon to be rollin on 36" swampers, tbi350, th350, np241

5. zcubed

zcubed Registered Member

Thanks everyone for the replies. I think I'll go check the things you've all mentioned, now.

<font color=red>_____________________________________________________</font color=red>
    <font color=blue>I'm hooked on gin and tonics like yo mamma's hooked on phonics!</font color=blue>

6. zcubed

zcubed Registered Member

Hello, again. I found the problem. The cable is frayed where it connects to the t case. Now, how do I change it out? Can I cut the frayed part off, and then pull the cable out through the engine compartment -- without removing the black hose that encases it? Will I then be able to run a new cable down through the hose; or, do I have to remove the whole thing, and then re-route it? Also, when I unscrewed it from the t case, oil dripped out of the hose casing. Do i need to re-oil it when I change it? If so, is it just regular 10W-30? Gear oil? Something else? One last question, and then I'll stop, [​IMG], the cable runs from the t-case to "something" mounted on the driver's side fender well, and then another cable runs from that "something" to the dash. What is the name of that "something?" Thanks again. I really appreciate all the help.

<font color=blue>I'm hooked on gin and tonics like yo mamma's hooked on phonics!</font color=blue>

7. zcubed

zcubed Registered Member

^UP

Anybody???

8. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

that something is probably your cruise control unit. When you go and buy the new cable it will be the whole thing, shielding and all, so you will need to replace the whole thing. There is no need to put any lubricant in the new one before installing it.

'85 K5 : Run it til it breaks, then fix it and go again!

9. zcubed

zcubed Registered Member

Thank you Mr. Chevy. I just went to the parts store, and they gave me just the cable. They said for me to pull the old cable out of the shielding, and then thread the new one in. They also said for me to grease it as i slide it in. BUT, I didn't tell them about the cruise control unit. The instructions they gave me were going straight from the speedometer. Does this change things? Will the cable I have work, or do I still need to replace the whole thing, shielding and all? Thank you.

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Just rip that cruise control out and hook it straight to the speedometer. It probably doesn't work anyway and is just clogging up space under your hood.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

11. zcubed

zcubed Registered Member

Well, Mr. Chevy, you are correct, sir!!! Auto Zone told me all I had to do was pull out the cable, from the shielding, and then slide the new cable in. They then sold me just the cable with no sheathing. Well, I've got news for Mr. Auto Zone -- IT JUST WON'T WORK THAT WAY!!! I spent the last two hours figuring that out. Oh well, I guess tomorrow, it's back to Au. Zo. for a refund and a new cable WITH shielding!!! Hell, with my luck, I'll spend 6 hours tinkering with that tomorrow, get it all hooked up, and then the speedo. still won't work!!! [​IMG] I guess if that happens, I'll then follow '84 Chevy's advice and rip out the cruise control. Then, my cable probably won't fit, so it's back to the parts store. Then....

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Welcome to the wonderful world of working on Chevy trucks.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

13. zcubed

zcubed Registered Member

Well, after several phone calls and trips to different parts stores, I finally found the right cable. It only took about 2 hours to remove the old one and install the new one! [​IMG] I can now get the speedo to register 20 mph!!! I don't understand why it won't work. The box said that it was pre-lubed. Is there still a breaking-in period? Maybe I crimped it when installing it? T-case problem? Like I said, the speedo worked before it quit working [​IMG], and it was obvious that the cable was bad -- it was all frayed -- so it would seem to me that simply replacing the cable would correct the problem. I guess i'll look at it some more later today. [​IMG]