Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Speedometer STUCK at times while driving

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fausz, Mar 20, 2002.

1. fausz

fausz Registered Member

I recently purchased a 1976 K5, 350/350, all stock including tires. The speedometer will stick at different speeds. For instance, I may really be driving 70, but the needle points to 40! But, it doesn't just stick at that speed, or any specific speed for that matter. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

2. 85HeartBurb

85HeartBurb 1/2 ton status

i'm having the same problem with my 74 ihave a 454/350 combo but my milage still tracks correctly i'm thinking something is making the needle stick?!?!

3. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

If you guy's are talkin' about where the speedo goes into the transfer case ,then I had the same problem on my 74, try clipping some of the cable off at where it gos into the transfer case , I discovered this when my buddy had me put the transfer case in nuetral and the E brake on and then the truck wont move when you give it gas and he slowly pulled out the cable after he unscrewed it and it started to work perfectly, so we snipped about a 1/4" off the end, and it's worked fine ever since...Just be careful../forums/images/icons/wink.gif

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Sticking at speeds is gonna be in the speedo head assembly. Unfortunately I know of no fix for this, the phone book will have speedometer shops listed though. Noise is something mine makes when it wants to act up. Thinking of going electronic because of it : )

Bouncing speedo is a symptom of a cable problem.

5. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Mine wasn't bouncin' it was stickin' foo * fumes in his best Mr. T voice* /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

BTW, "T" says to get some "kable eaze" if you want to make SURE the speedo cable isn't causing any problems. At least it can't hurt to make sure the cable isn't going to be causing any problems or noise, like they typically do.

7. fausz

fausz Registered Member

I pulled the speedo cable out last night from the speedo end. I had the truck up on jack stands and got the wheels turning and watched the needle/screw, it turned consistently. Because it turned consistently, my next guess is that it's the gear that the needle/screw goes into at the back of the speedometer. I've been told that they're plastic gears and sometimes get stripped. This would explain why the needle sticks sometimes. Thanks for everyone's help, I'll post back my results!

8. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

The Speedo is fine its that darn 65 mph on the side of the road your stuck on /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

9. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

This has to be a problem with the speedometer itself. The reading is just a balance between a return to zero spring and the force exerted by the magnet spinning with the cable. The cable and gear can't cause it to stick. If they stop spinning, the needle should go to zero.