Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

speedometer took a crap

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rick88blaze, Dec 16, 2005.

1. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

My speedometer decided to take a crap on me today. I knew it was getting worn out for a while now. I used to have the part number for an aftermarket one that would bolt right in but I can't find it now. Do any of you have a part number for a speedometer that would bolt right and doesn't cost too much? Thanks in advance. :D

Found the one below on ebay. Do you think it would fit?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/autometer-sport-comp-speedometer-79-78-76-69-70-chevy_W0QQitemZ8022859329QQcategoryZ33678QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Rick

2. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Depends on your definition of "plug in". Will will bolt right in place of the stock one with the same screws and not have to do anything with the wires. No.
    Can it fit with minor monifications. Looks like it. I'd ask for a model number and go look up the install manual on autometer website.

3. George_Pimpdaddy

George_Pimpdaddy 1/2 ton status

is it the speedo its self that crapped out or the gear in the transfer case?? or it even could be the cable. best thing to do is take the gear out of the transfer case (easy to spot on tail shaft) and spin it by hand causeing the cable to spin which is where the helper comes in to see if the needle moves or if the gear is mashed up or melted when you take it out. might save you alot of money if its just a calbe or gear problem

4. rick88blaze

I know it's the speedometer. When I was driving around there was a loud whining coming from the dash and my speedo was going up to about 80 and I was only doing about 35-40.

I'll email him for a part number. My main concern is it plugging into the factory speedo cable. I can get it mounted and wire it up if need be.

5. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

That happened once to me and all it was, was the cable came loose from the back of the speedo. Dunno how it happened. Pushed it back it, speedo worked great again. Loud whining and speedo bobing all over the dial.

6. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I have a spare speedo out of a 79 blazer (I think) that you can have if you need.

7. rick88blaze

8. rick88blaze

I appreciate the offer, but I was eventually planning putting all aftermarket gauges in anyways. This just give me an excuse to start doing it. :D:whistle:

9. rick88blaze

Readymix,

change of plans, sent you a PM. :D

Rick

10. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Got you PM you have a reply.
    It is ready to ship out as soon as i get your address.