Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

speedometer

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by the general, Feb 11, 2007.

1. the general

the general Registered Member

:bow: My speedo from my 75 k5 doesn,t work okay when i start too drive(first it goes only ten miles an our and then it stays at about 25 miles an hour),after 15 minutes everything works okay, the cable is new,the speedo is also okay,the adapter on the t-case also, the pin of the gear in the t-case was broken but i welded it and its not binding or so, what could be the problem?:confused:

Patrick, The Netherlands.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

It's probably the speedometer.

There is no "slip" in the speedometer setup. If anything binds, the cable or other pieces break, they have no choice.

3. the general

Thanks for the reply, dyeager 535 . but that is the problem if i take the cable(do i need too oil/grease this cable?) of the t-case my speedo works fine, so it can,t be the speedo i think and my gears are almost new in the t-case

4. dyeager535

Typically if the cable needs lube (they make a product called "cable eez" for this, not sure of spelling) the speedometer will bounce, as the cable loads up from sticking, then rapidly unloads.

If the problem is 100% repeatable, disconnect the speedometer cable at the tranny before driving, and spin it with a drill. Fast enough that it will get over 25MPH where your problems are. If that "fixes" the problem, then I'd pull the gear piece off the transfer case and see what the gears look like. But again, those are "direct drive" and I don't see how if there was a problem at that point, it would be on again off again problems.

You don't have the two piece cable with the transducer on the fender do you? Those sometimes cause problems.

5. the general

My k5 had a cruise control type(thus 2-piece) cable but i changed it too one cable and took the hole cruise-thing out(it was broken anyway) .do you now where too get these metal gears(mine has a K on it,and its a Parttime NP 203) from the t-case?

6. dyeager535

Unfortunately I don't. You might check LMC truck (they have a website) or any other GM truck parts seller.

Someone on here might have what you need as well, but the gears need to be the right ones for your setup of course. Gear ratio & tire size.