Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Speedometer

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bada55_tx_k5, Jun 4, 2003.

1. bada55_tx_k5

bada55_tx_k5 Registered Member

Well the current speedometer doesnt work at all, and even if I was to pull out the cable and replace it, I would still have to re-gear my current speedometer. So I was curious if there was a cheaper more efficient way, perhaps an aftermarket speedometer? I tried using my Tachometer but it says I'm doing 2000rpms at 40mph which is pretty far off my calculations. Just thought I'd see what you guys came up with to tell how fast your going.

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

GPS! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

highly doubt its speedometer bad, id inspect both ends of the cable and the opening in the end of the drive gear in the tranny too, make sure are square, what tranny you got ? you got it in drive or overdrive, is it shifting into next gear ? 40 at 2,000 sounds liek its stuck in second gear at 40 with around 3.42 or 3.73 ratio axle

4. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

a new speedometer gear will cost you less than $10 at the dealer, and takes just a few minutes to change. Even if you did buy a new spedometer, you'd still have to replace the cable if its bad, so how would you save any money?