Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

spent some time with you blazer lately?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BowtieBlazer, Nov 19, 2001.

1. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

If not then maybe you should!
    I got under it to swap out driveshafts and search for a newly aquired exhaust leak and here is whatelse I found:
    1)A rust spot under the driver's side rocker on the inside(facing the frame) which turned into a 3in hole after a few taps with a crescent wrench...not sure what to do to keep the rust from progressing
    2) an exhaust leak at the block and collector gaskets on my headers
    3) a cross member mount that was extrememly loose
    4) a F#%#$'ed crush sleeve on my front axle, I think thats what it is because the axle yoke? has lots of play in it ( in and out movement)
    5) a screwed front drive shaft I can grab the shaft and move it left to rgiht atleast a 1/4inch its that stupid slip yoke i'm sure...

So if you havent been under your blazer and spent some time with it lately you might want to do it soon before it gets too cold and before you go wheelin again

What? You think the hole is too deep? Lemme see...
    1985 GMC C-10 Shortbed
    1984 Chevy K-5 Blazer

2. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I have spent so much time on the path of enlightenment with my Blazer. That I have attained Nirvana and become one with my K5. Ahhh what bliss !!!!!

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Thunders-Blaze>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Thunders-Blaze</a>
    <font color=blue>NEVADA: Where the pavement ends, and the West begins.</font color=blue>

3. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Haha, last night I was fixing a leaky 14 bolt axle shaft leak when I noticed my bearing was very loose good thing it was leaking I guess. Today I noticed the grease seal is now leaking, I can't win, the underside of the UAV has been coated with oil and grease for over 10 years now, I might as well not fight it. About the only thing that doesn't leak is the fuel tank.

Steve

Director of Global Expansion

Mall-Running poseur 4x4 with curb-feelers

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Might just be that the nut that holds the yoke on has come loose. Check that first.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

5. BowtieBlazer

I will indeed check that nut before go to something more severe such as replacing that crush sleeve. Its just that I rarely get under my trucks anymore being that its not summer and besides oil changes i am always on the run to and from school and when i go home to my tools maybe every other week I am always booked up with one thing or another. I guess now i am starting to realize some bigger problems I hadn't noticed before because I dont get to get under it too often. Feel bad for neglecting teh truck for so long. My girlfriend finally broke me of multiple pet names for my truck to a single one. Don't worry it still has a personality! :)

1985 GMC C-10 Shortbed
    1984 Chevy K-5 Blazer

6. shupach

shupach 1/2 ton status

ya i went under there a couple weeks ago and noticed that my front leaf spring bolt came loose and was almost about to fall off, luckilly i tightened it up immediately

phill

7. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

If I spend much more time with my truck I might as well just move into it.[​IMG]

See <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Waynes-Toy>Project Mighty Mouse</a> here.
    <font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>

8. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

Mrs. Zakk suggested that i do move into mine that is dead on the lawn...warmer than the doghouse[​IMG] but not a comfy as the couch[​IMG]

-Zakk
    '77 K5 SB 400 TH350 NP203 p/t 6" Lift D60 14BFF 4.10's 36"Wrangler II's

[​IMG] CK5's MOAB 2002 OR BUST!! [​IMG]

9. shawnboy

shawnboy 1/2 ton status

por15 metal prep, por15 rust paint then por15 putty the hole then por15 paint again. Works great.
    Besides looking under your rig also a daily walk around is a good thing. Especially when your neighbors' little bastards like playing with your hubs, putting things under your tires to watch them get squished which in turn gets you a flat etc.......
    Shawnboy.

<font color=red>If you are having too much fun it's probably illegal.</font color=red>

10. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

WAHOO!!!!!! Well at least I can say the underside of my truck looks like the UAV [​IMG] [​IMG]! I have some major problems in the 208 tcase and it is literally gushing ATF out the rear output seal (and it is brand new) and of course my rear main seal leak [​IMG]

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>

11. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

You are right, it is good to get under there every now and then make sure that everything is still together the way it should be.

But I have spent as much time under mine lately as I have at work. Maybe more. In the last month I swapped in a 14B SF that I converted to disc brakes (no kit for me!) and to 6-lug. I replaced the driveshaft U-joints, put in a 4:10 ring and pinion up front, replaced the front axle U-joints, wired in indicators for hydraulic and electrical lock-up signals for the torque converter, rebuilt the tailgate window key switch, rebuilt the tailgate latch switch, repaired ruined wiring from inside the frame rail next to the fuel tank (that someone obviously "fixed" before - people, wiring under a vehicle must be sealed. Why do you think the Statue of Liberty is green?), and built new shim wedges into my rear spring packs. Now I still have some driveline issues to deal with (do I switch to fixed yoke, convert to a C/V shaft or just replace my loose slip yoke?) and still have the parts sitting around to do my electric fan conversion.

Just take my advice: the more time you spend working on your truck, make sure you are also spending more time with your wife. Trust me.

<font color=green>There's nothing like the smell of a rich V-8 in the morning...</font color=green>

12. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

It's always something haha.
    Ok the list for the 75 of stuff I know is screwed.
    Blown muffler on the passengerside. Screwed up down pipe on the same side
    Found a missing bolt that replaced the missing rivit in the plate that the driver side motor mount sits on. That let the engine drop a good 1/2 inch and may be why when I get on it my case shifter is moving a lot more than it should.
    My case mounts are shot.
    My body mounts are shot and infact the body is touching the frame and the top of the transfer case.
    Leaking rear diff cover from a encounter with a large rock on guard rail at Tellico.
    One day I might get around to adjusting the drag link so my steering wheel isn't at a 45 degree angle.
    Valve guide seals are going.
    Leak at one of the hoses going to the heater core.
    Bad passengerside headlight. Been bad for a year but with some percussive persuation it comes on.
    Slight leak from the 1-2 shift acumulator (again, just replaced the o-ring in the spring).
    A slight leak in the front crank seal. only leaks when I get it real nose down.
    Other that that it's in good shape. Mine, other than the tranny leak, is pretty leak free. I hate leaks. I making a diff guard for the rear soon is why I haven't already resealed it.
    Few hundred bucks spent at ORD would fix most of my problems
    The Lady's 79 Needs a couple exhaust hangers and some tack welds on the exhaust. It's in other wise good shape. It doesn't get many miles so it stays in pretty good shape. Might get 2k a year if we don't take a trip in it.
    Supra needs a new distributor because I can't replace the leaking shaft seal. Not a servicable part. $200 [​IMG] to replace a $2 seal. Needs the upper intake and IAC cleaned to fix a high idle problem from either a stick IAC or sticking throttle plate. Due for a oil change. Need to go get the used power steering rack I have from a bud and needs struts and ball joints and probably tie rod ends to fix some clunks I have.
    Also about due for a MAJOR brake overhaul including all four rotors [​IMG] that will set me back $300.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

13. BowtieBlazer

I thoguht I was one of few that drove around a wounded truck...I will never hear the end of buying a fix-er-upper when i could have bought a 89. I wanted the carb and the standard tranny in my 84 new engine for $1500 cheaper -vs- the newer auto 89 with high mileage engine and slusbox.....however i am dealing with high milage other parts which becomes costly....it had original front(all) and rear front u-joints when i aquired it a few months back. Getting the money to fix it up can be frustrating but the reward of knowing your truck better than anyone else knows their new vehicle and if somethign breaks I usually know what it is before it breaks and have neglected to fix it. I trust driving my 84 k-5 more than driving my brother's 91 toyota...ts never left me stranded....the fixing up just how i want it aspect is the coolest thing to me. Anyone can buy a 91k-5 on 36's they just did nothign to make it that way and have no diea of the wekest points on the rig.

1985 GMC C-10 Shortbed
    1984 Chevy K-5 Blazer