Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Spent the day in a rock buggy

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Pure Insanity, Jan 25, 2003.

1. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

OK I have to admit, crawling is a LOT more fun than I thought it would be. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

A guy I hooked up w/ on Florida4x4.com came up today w/ his buggy to play around my area. It started out life as a 94 YJ, but now its a 1ton 14/60 5.13 geared 38 TSLs and locked tube buggy. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Still sports the orig. 4 banger. HEHE! It only has 83000 miles on it!

We went to the sand pits where we go some and played on the hills and such. I have never been off camber to speak of, so today was an experience to say the least. Major pucker factor. The side leaning was bad enuff but when he attacked a 4-5 foot vertical wall I almost lost control of my bodily functions. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif I seen nuttin but the blue sky! FRRRREAKED me out! Kevin also went at a big log pile where we were. Actually 2 piles at a 45* angle to eachother, up and across 1 and on to the other then back.

It was blast to ride along, still not my thing, but man was it fun!

Then we went and played in the mud and trails for a few hrs, I gotta say, light weight, low gears, and 38X12.50 TSLs will go about anywhere. We just stayed on top and went places the trail leader in a Dodge V10 on 44 TSLs went. We got hung up once on the rear diff in the mud and had to be tugged out. 9000+ pound Dodge pulls a 3500 pound (estimated) buggy w/ ease. LOL!

Ill have some pics up later tonite or tommorow.

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Come out and join us some time. We had a blast yesterday after the cleanup! I fell over again, not bad, just tipped into a wall, drove out by just turning into the wall till the tires got back under the COG. Scraped along on the cage till it gently tipped back onto the tires. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif.

3. Pure Insanity

If you go to Pirate much you may know his name. He goes by Big Dude on Fl4x4 and I am 99% sure he uses the same name at POR too. He does do some traveling. He was in Attica (I think) back at the end of Dec. And ran Windrock not too long ago.

I need to get those pics up soon. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Id like to try out some places like that but Id have to fly out, driving PI 3000 miles doesnt seem real appealing. LOL! I dont think it would do too good on the rocks either.

I REALLY considered flying out to BB 02 and catching a ride w/ someone but I waited too long to get serious about the idea.

4. BadDog

Come on out, always empty seats. BB03, or just come out to the Phoenix area anytime we can put together a run. For BB02 Eric (Twizted) didn't get his rig together in time and rode with us most of the time.

Yeah, I there is a "bigdude" on PBB. Spots for Space Ghost in the comps. Seems a bit smart ass at times, but over all a decent guy who knows what he's talking about. If that's his buggy you rode in, I'll bet you had fun. IIRC, he just had some major body/cage/bugy work done to it over xmas.

5. Pure Insanity

Yeah thats the same guy. Buggied over Xmas, and a bit of a SA on the boards, nice guy in person tho. Even let a few of us pilot the buggy.

Pics are up, but noone grabbed my camera for any of the wall climbs. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Figures too. In fact FL84 was like 20 feet away from us w/ my camera in his Blazer waiting for us to make the climb. Im gonna have to whoopem fer that! /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

I just uploaded the pics so it may be 20 min or so from the time of this post till their veiwable.

6. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

This looks like fun.
    Ridin' is almost as much fun as drivin'.
    Thats one thing about this sport that is, in my opinion, far-better then most other automotive related sports.
    Watching 'em is pretty dawg-awn fun.
    Un-like some of the other Automitive sports, like Drag raceing or the Roundy-rounds. Those are fun in thier own way. But it gets a bit repetitve.

7. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I fell over again, not bad, just tipped into a wall,

[/ QUOTE ]

Again !!?!?
    I must be out of the loop, cause I missed the first one.

Come on out, always empty seats. BB03, or just come out to the Phoenix area anytime we can put together a run. For BB02 Eric (Twizted) didn't get his rig together in time and rode with us most of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true,
    I figgured I would be "hoofin'" it the entire time at BB02, but everone was pretty quick to offer a seat.
    Russ and his boy, really pulled through for me and I rode with them most of the time. If it wasn't for them, I would have been one tuckerd-out lil' dude.
    Thanks again, Russ. Had a GREAT time.

8. Pure Insanity

I was w/ him the 1st time he did that yesterday. That pic was set up, I told him to do it. That one wasnt as high as the 1st either. Having expanded metal floor in it makes it easy to see the ground and there was quite a bit of room under the tires when I was w/ him. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I REALLY wish there were some pics of the wall climb. I know I was making some pretty freaked out faces. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

FL84K5 got some air time yesterday building speed towards the sand hill climbs. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Funny part is he didnt even realize it. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Oh and as a disclaimer, thats NOT a stream we were driving thru, its a ditch that was dug to drain the surrounding areas after flooding. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

That pic was set up, I told him to do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL...

Whats the last words a Red-neck says before he dies ?

"Hay y'all watch this!"

10. Pure Insanity

Whats the last words a Red-neck says before he dies ?

"Hay y'all watch this!"

[/ QUOTE ] Hey I resemble that remark! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

11. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

*ahem*
    Been there too. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

12. MUD JUNKIE

MUD JUNKIE 1/2 ton status

Dude,that looks like a kick ass place to go,as soon as my P.O.S is up and running wanna "guide" us out there?
    /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

13. FL84K5

FL84K5 1/2 ton status

That buggy was something else! When he was going up the side of the incline, I kept leaning in, thinking it was going to tip at any minute. I should have got some pictures of you guys climbing the cliff. Trip told me every time I tried the hill I would launch it. I didn't even realize it until he told me. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

14. Pure Insanity

Get it runnin and come git it! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

He needs a pucker facor gauge in that thing. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif We guessed we were at close to 45* on the side hill. Did you notice he liked to park at wild inclines and shoot the breeze. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

15. BadDog

he liked to park at wild inclines and shoot the breeze

[/ QUOTE ] Hehe, that aint nuthin, out here we get into crazy angles, get out, walk around looking at it, taking pics, then get back in and drive on through... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif