Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Spicer D60 hub assembly - how to?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Shiprekd, Feb 10, 2007.

1. Shiprekd

Shiprekd 1/2 ton status

When I got my D60, the guy had removed the Spicer locking hubs and all of their pieces; threw them in a box all jumbled. As stupid as this is, I'm not sure how they go together. I looked/searched but cannot find an exploded view/diagram.

I know they're the older spicer type and want to use them :O}

Anyone have a diagram or some pics of how they install? There is a thread on here but it's a poor pic and just doesn't look right to me.

2. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I don't have any good pics handy, but my Chiltons in the shop does. I just did mine last weekend.

The spring goes in first, The inner gear slides on the stub with the larger diameter in. There's a snap-ring that holds that on with a groove in the stub. If you look at the larger outer gear, you want that in there so the angled teeth ends face out so they will mesh with the inner gear better. The part I'm having a hard time remember is the ring with two opposing large tabs that curve in. IIRC that goes inside of the large outer gear. Then you have the outer retaining ring that goes in the groove in the hub. Then the lockout bolts in.

Hope that helps. If it's still needed I'll try to get the drawing out of my Chiltons scanned in.

3. Shiprekd

Shiprekd 1/2 ton status

I can't thank you enough. The spring was my biggest "?" mark. You helped me immensely.

The large tabs go thru the mounting ring (from behind) and seat into the tabs of the outer mounting ring. That part wasn't too hard to work out after toying with the pieces for a few minutes. like I said, that perverbial spring was my nemesis.

4. mrk5

Glad I could help. Just in case anyone needs it for future reference:

[​IMG]

5. Shiprekd

Shiprekd 1/2 ton status

As soon as I read where the spring went, it was pretty much a no brainer. Once again, I can't thank you enough.

I had those two gears in my hand and could swear they weigh about 5lbs combined. That's some serious strength compared to Superwinch and some others...

6. mrk5

Yeah, compared to the 1/2ton hubs I've worked with in the past, I'm very impressed with the Spicer hubs. From what I understand they are hard to find parts for. Watching ebay, I could about buy new Warns by selling the Spicer hubs - fat chance of that. :D