Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Spicer hubs

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 6869704x4, Feb 19, 2004.

1. 6869704x4

6869704x4 Registered Member

Im on the highway doing 75mph when I feel the truck jerk slightly to the left and hear a metallic squeal. This lasts for a fraction of a second. Then everything feels normal. I pull over at the next exit and check things out. Dont find any thing so off I go. Ten hours later I go to lock the hubs and the left one wont budge. I pull the hub apart and find the inside of the locking knob was melted and had been slung outward. This allowed the hubs to try to engage.
    What I cant figure out is what got the hub so hot that the knob melted. I first thought the brake was dragging but they checked out OK. If the two locking pieces were spinning against each other that would create heat. But how would they get together? The selector was still in the free position.
    What really sucks is I had to buy a set of Warn hubs. It was too cold to change both so I had one Warn and one Spicer hub.
    Anybody have any experiences with Spicer hubs trying to engage themselves?

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Which axle do you have? 1/2, 3/4 or 1 ton? Any chance it was serviced recently?

If it's an internal style hub, is there any chance the axle gear was installed backwards? I believe this would cause the hub to be semi-engaged, maybe causing this type of heat build up.

An excessive amount of grease in the hub gears can prevent it from locking or unlocking correctly.

There is an issue with D60 35 spline stub axles rubbing against the back side of the knob but everything I've read has involved aftermarket locking hubs.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

My dads 8 lug D44 was/is having hub problems. I suspect something has too much slop in there, as it "growls" when you turn one direction. He went in, replaced a bearing, replaced the hub (it was ground down inside) but the noise is coming back. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

No idea what it is exactly that is moving enough to cause problems, you'd expect the problem to be evident when the hub was pulled, but it wasn't.

Probably something similar in your case, a piece moving around just enough to allow friction. Sorry *I* can't pinpoint your problem, but maybe someone else can?

4. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

have you torn the wheel bearing assembly apart to see if there is any damage further inside. i dont see how a locked hub could cause so much heat. im guessing you may have a wheel bearing problem. im sorry to hear you have to resort to warn hubs.

5. 6869704x4

Its a ½ ton D44 axle. I replaced the bearings while I had it apart. They looked OK but smelled like melted plastic. I pack the bearings using the palm of my hand method. I always make sure grease is coming up out of the rollers. I lay a good bed of grease on the race before I lay the bearing in. As for the locking parts I dont go crazy with grease in there. Just enough to keep things slippery.
    Other damage I noticed inside was the C-clip on the axle shaft was bent outward like the locking piece was pushed against it really hard. The piece that the outer hub bolts to had to be pulled out(I rigged a puller using screwdrivers and the outer hub) because it wore a lip on the inside of the hub. The weirdest damage was about 1/8 inch of the spindle was broke off. Just to where the threads start.
    Ive had this truck since 83 and have serviced the hubs at least 20 times. When I install the spindle nut I run it down tight to make sure the bearing is set then back it off. I retighten it just enough to get the wiggle out of it. I check it again after the wheel is on just to make sure.

6. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

what color was the grease on your bearings? what color was it when you repacked them?

did u take the spindle off? did u inspect the spindle roller bearing?

it sounds like something gave way. was there any metal shavings?

7. 6869704x4

Grease looked the same as when I put it in. There was still plenty of it in the rollers so the heat didnt sling it out.
    Did not take the spindle off. You talking about the bearing inside the spindle? Didnt think to check that since it shouldnt be turning with the hub unlocked.
    There was no sign of metal shavings or anything else.

8. space ace

space ace Newbie

Re: warn hubs

[ QUOTE ]
    i have a 81 k-5 and was wheeling hte other day & noticed my front was not spinning. the hubs were locked & the front shaft was turning. if alot of dirt & junk get in the hubs can that make it not engauge? they are warn hubs. also you can hear like a clinking noise somthing in the front when in 4 w-d. when spinning. so..... i dont know need help