Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Spicer Limited Slip Diff

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hossbaby50, Jul 19, 2003.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I was wondering if anyone has used the Spicer Limited slip differential at all? How well does it work, longevity, and did it hurt the turn radius? How tight is its bias?

I am thinking about installing one in the rear diff of my dads new (73 CJ5) Jeep /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif. I want something better then an open diff and I don't want to sacrifice the turn radius with a locker. An air locker is too expensive too.

The Spicer is only $200 and it goes with the axle. It is all Spicer and I kinda want to keep it that way. Thanks for any input.

Harley

2. 84K5cedric

84K5cedric 1/2 ton status

Radius isn't much affected with a rear locker.... unless you're in the gas. We installed a lockright in the rear of a buddies TJ and it was not even noticeable unless you tried.

3. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Spicer makes a couple different units.
    Trac-Lok and Powr-Loc and maybe a couple more.
    Which unit is it?? Im assuming its the Trac-Loc cuz of the price. Heres a couple quotes from a carrier link:
    [ QUOTE ]
    Trac-Lok (T/L)
    Built by Dana Spicer for use in Spicer rearends, AMC rearends, and 1998 & older 10.25" Ford rearends. The old design built up until about 1989 was weak. The 1990 and newer design is fairly strong and even rivals the Power-Lok for impact durability, but the clutches do not provide as much lock-up force and tend to wear out in about 50,000 miles if used in the rear. Works better in the front of vehicles because it's not aggressive. The main selling points for this design are the fact that clutch chatter is almost non-existent, and it is very inexpensive. These two points make it a great unit for many applications and a very good value for the money. This unit makes a great front limited slip and works well for those who need a little extra traction but cannot tolerate clutch chatter. The Trac-Lok came factory installed in many models such as D28, D44, D60, AMC 20, AMC35, 10.25" Ford. The problem with this unit is that it is not very aggressive and power transfer is minimal. Also, 1988 and earlier units tend to break fairly easily. (1piece case, 2 pinion gears, and 2 tab clutches). (factory )

Powr-Lok (P/L)
    This clutch type limited slip is the strongest and most aggressive limited slip differential available from Dana Spicer. It is a clutch type unit using floating cross shafts that ride up on ramps in the case. When power is applied, the shafts ride up the ramps and load the clutches for a positive engagement. A Power-Lok will not lock up 100%, but it is a very durable unit that will hold up fairly well with tall tires. It can be rebuilt, and can be set up smooth or aggressive by changing the clutch design or stacking configuration. Powr-Loks are easily identified by their 2-piece case. They are a very strong unit due to the 4 spider gear design that provides twice as many teeth to carry the load as a 2 spider gear unit does. However, the case bolts can stretch or loosen after severe use over time. (4 pin, 4 tab clutches) (factory)

[/ QUOTE ]

4. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I wouldnt recommend any LS dif for a 4x4
    a CJ5 is real short though, and none too stable to begin with

5. 88Silverado

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Curious as to why you say that /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
    Since I drive my 4x4 on the street I didnt want alocker banging in the back and the steering problem with it in front.

I just installed a Eaton in the rear and a Auburn in the front. Havent had a chance to try it yet offroad.

6. 88Silverado

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Curious as to why you say that /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
    Since I drive my 4x4 on the street I didnt want alocker banging in the back and the steering problem with it in front.

I just installed a Eaton in the rear and a Auburn in the front. Havent had a chance to try it yet offroad.

7. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

they unlock as soon as you actually want them to be locked

when the going gets rough they leave you stranded

they are tolerable in a car but I think even there I am all done with clutch type difs

I have only owned 3 of them
    all were unpredictable as to when they would go pegleg on ya

steering with front LS requires the LS to disengage before you can steer,
    steering requires differential wheel speeds
    the LS is locked until you overcome the clutches
    so you will be able to easily tell how much pressure is required to have your LS become open useless in off road situations dif
    my powerlock does the same thing
    just enough clutch pressure to make steering on icy roads a fun but scary game at hiway speeds but in the 1% situations it releases

8. 88Silverado

Interesting...
    Air Lockers would have been nice but out of my $$$ range.
    I would have to assume LS is better than Open carrier but not as good lockers.

Im sure the LS in the front is going to take some getting use to. I would think a locker would be worse in the front for steering on roads.

For the price I got the LS units for (virtually free) figured it was a good choice.

9. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

also lockers are pretty much a one time purchase install and forget about it
    LS wear, auburn being a bad design as once it is worn it is junk, other designs you just replace clutches

10. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

GOOD POINT !!! I never worry about the Detroit Locker in my 14 bolt but I am always concerned about clutch wear and performance from my Trak-Lok and if I buy the pieces needed to bring my Pwr-Lok to good working order I will have spent more than a D/L in the long run.
    I really like the Pwr-Lok L/S diff. but the D/L has been used in MANY industrial applications and is just about bullet proof and maintainance free. All L/S's have there place but if a build it and forget about it thing is what is needed - than a L/S does require maintainance where a D/L does not . If I had it to do over again I would have spent the money ONE TIME and started with dual D/L's .
    JMHO , Tom

11. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I know I don't want a auotmatic locker in this Jeep and an air locker is too much $$$. An auto locker would be suicide in this CJ5. The fact that it is 3500lbs, 81" wheel base, V8, manual trans, manual brakes, and manual steering make it a handful already. It follows rut like a bastard too. On a street that see's heavy truck traffic it will shoot you back and forth between the ruts in the road because of the narrow vehicle with a relativly wide tire and light weight. A manual locker can shoot you all over, and this Jeep already has this problem pretty bad. I can't afford to make it worse. The other reason for no locker is turning radius.

A limited slip has alot better street manner (which is vital to this CJ) and should make this thing alot more trail worthy without turning radius problems.

What is the best limited slip? I had an Auburn Pro in my 10bolt in my K5 and I liked it, but I don't like the one time use thing. This Jeep will also see alot of flat towing to the hunting and camping areas. How will that wear a limited slip or will it? Thanks

Harley