Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Spicer Manual Hub Jigsaw Puzzle - HELP!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by prossett, Dec 3, 2005.

1. prossett

prossett 1/2 ton status

You know those brain teaser puzzles? Well, hope you guys can save me.

I got handed a pair of Spicer manual locking hubs, and I want to swap them for the automatic hubs that are crapping out on the GM 10-bolt of my 1983 Jimmy.

OK, so it seems I have all the parts, and I've got the auto hubs out.

I look into the axle and I see the clip with the two holes, in front of the spindle locknuts.

I have in hand a long spring, another clip with two holes, and a large retaining clip.

Then there's a small gear (which fits on the axleshaft) and a large gear (which fits on the axle), and they fit inside each other, locking it down.

I then have the outer cover, with a plastic lever which turns, a metal ring which bolts onto the inside of the cover, and a ring with two metal tabs which face outwards and are what the plastic lever pushes on.

Would someone kindly give me the order of assembly?

Specifically, does the spring go in first?

And the small gear, does the flange side face inwards or outwards?

Where do the clips go?

2. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Starting from the inside: the curved, stamped "spring retainer plate"; the coil spring, small end out, the externally splined "inner clutch ring"; the smaller, internally splined "axle shaft sleeve ring", small end in; then put the small snap ring on the end of the stub shaft.

Now for the mechanism:the hooked finger "actuating cam body", fingers out; the round plate with the slots for the fingers "outer clutch retaining ring"; now the big snap-ring goes into the grove.

Last is the dial: the plastic dial should have an o-ring, there is a big o-ring fro the assembly, and each cap screw gets a copper washer.

DO NOT USE A LOT OF GREASE. If you do the parts will not move properly. Let me know if you need more help.

3. bigjbear

Did you get them together? I got my scanner hooked back up if you need pics.

4. mo

mo 1/2 ton status

I just went through this also... So when these are unlocked is the outer gear (inner clutch ring?) inside the smaller gear, and then pops out when locked?

that's the only way I could get it together, but it seems strange. Also, I had to put the smaller gear in with the small side out otherwise the ring with the 'fingers' would hit the edge on the smaller gear and not engage the gears fully.

Something doesn't seem to be working right though, cause I cant unlock them now after driving with them locked... I did use some grease, not an excessive amount though.

thanks

5. mo

mo 1/2 ton status

i'd love some pics if you dont mind...

also, what is the spring retainer? I dont recall seeing that piece...

thanks

6. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

I just replaced mine this weekend. The spring retainer is nothing more than a BIG washer that serves as a seat for the big end of the spring. Have you tried swapping the 2 geared pieces with the 2 larger ones? I had to wire wheel the outer edges of some of the pieces, cause of crud inside my hub that kept everything from sliding in and out. I am trying to get my scanner up right now, have the diagram right in front of me. Chilton's Truck and Van Repair Manual 79-86, part #7655, page T69.

7. prossett

prossett 1/2 ton status

BigJBear - you're right! I should have closed the thread with what happened.

They went in like the components of a Swiss watch!!! Problem solved, lots of weird bubbly liquid consumed, and 4WD now stays in 4WD when I tell it to do so! Thanks, bud, it was just like you said.

8. bigjbear

mo, the 10B & D60 go together differently, which do you need?

9. mo

mo 1/2 ton status

d60,

thanks

10. bigjbear

11. mo

mo 1/2 ton status

My old ones look like the ones in the first picture, the new ones I put in look like those in the second picture. Besides not having a spring retainer plate, the only thing I can think of is I might have put the axle shaft sleeve and ring in backwards, but still it worked right after I put them in...

I'll try taking them apart again tomorrow and swapping the pieces around...

thanks