Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

spicer outers

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 69K5, Dec 26, 2002.

1. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

the parts truck i am getting (72 K20)has spicer hubs. what exactly are these and where do i get parts to rebuild them?

Also does anyone have a pic of a front d60 on there K5?

thanks

nathan
    omly 9,364 more to go /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Spicer (the manufacturer name) hubs are simply the OE locking hubs that GM used until around '80/81. The style on the 72 axle should be an external mount design, I have a couple of pics in the "Parts" album on my Webshots page.

As for rebuild parts, good luck. Dana discontinued these hubs years ago and usually the only way to get them is either Ebay or from a dealer. You can have the parts dept at your local dealer use their locator to find another dealer that still has some of these obsolete parts. They're cool (I think) but hard to find/service.

http://community.webshots.com/user/nvrenuf_4x4

3. nvrenuf

Hey cool! I just realized we have the same avatar, what are the chance of that?! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

ok thanks. i knew they didnt look like the ones on my 69. the spicers are like twice the size. i looked in your webshots they are the external mount kind. i will run them until they fall apart. the wheel bearing parts shouldnt be hard to find right just the hub parts.

thanks

nathan

5. nvrenuf

Yeah, just the hub parts are hard to find. I see sets of them occaisionally on Ebay. The bearings, bearing hubs, etc. are readily available, only the Spicer locking hubs are discontinued.

BTW - (of course) Warn and other companies make replacement locking hubs to fit the axle.