Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Spicer u-joint question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Thumper, Mar 14, 2005.

1. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Hey, I just recieved my 5-760x u-joints for my chromo shafts. Well, I pull them out of the box and this little paper falls out that says: "Spicer Pre-Lubed Light/ Medium Duty U-Joint"
    Now... I ask myself... why is it that these things are so big on everyones list as being very strong, but they only say they are light/ medium duty? The other brands (Precision) are called "Extreme Heavy Duty". What gives? Did I get the right ones? Is Spicer just playin with the other manufacturers by saying that thier light/ medium duty joints are actually tougher than the competitions Extreme duty ones?
    Just curious! :)
    Mike

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

thay are pre greased from factory and thay arnt big rig joints . are little trucks are light/medium duty trucks.

3. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Our rigs are meduim duty next to a mack. Order a driveline joint for a peterbuilt, and you will see needle bearings the size of magic markers.

4. 85burbanator

85burbanator 1/2 ton status

the bearings arent that big but they are huge. i went to a truck parts store (big rigs,ligth duty etc) and they had a u joint on the table. the cap was about as round as a pop can. the drive shaft that goes between the 2 rear axles weighs a ton. i asked the guy if they made and adapter to fit those on my blazer. he laughed and said no but if they did he'd have some on his truck.

5. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Well, I know that ours are classed as light/ med duty. But Im sure that Precision also makes a big rig joint too, so why are thiers called 'Extreme Heavy Duty'? Id think that Spicer would want to call thiers something macho just for the sake of image? :)

Mike

6. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

Either way, I run the 5-760's and beat the piss outta them and theyve held up fine

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Spicer already has the rep and the market share, so no need to play word games.

Precision uses those terms because they're probably trying to gain market share, even though their U-joints suck IMHO.

The worst U-joints I've had were Brute Force and Precision.

Rene

8. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

You must not have seen my post with the Spicer U-joint ruler on it.
    A "heavy-duty" Spicer U-joint for a heavy truck (i.e. Peterbilt, Kenworth, etc) makes a 1350 look like something off a kid's toy. Too bad the yokes they use are so beefy that there's not much angularity possible...

[​IMG]