Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

spider gears?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Randy92782, Apr 30, 2007.

1. Randy92782

Randy92782 1 ton status

got my blazer runnin and took it to the river. started to spin and *pop*. there went the rear end. front wouldn't pull either. guess the front end was broke when i bought it cause i never tried the 4wd out before. no front driveshaft. well i put it in gear and let out on the clutch. nothing. 4-Lo both driveshafts are spinning. sucks..
    my question is "how hard are the spider gears to change?"
    never messed with rear ends before besides changing fluid and brakes. not sure what i'm getting myself into. if it helps it's a 3.73 1/2ton.

2. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

The spider gears are easy to change, but that is probably not what your problem is.

Look at shafts, u-joints, and hubs first.

3. Randy92782

Randy92782 1 ton status

nope it's the spider gears. took off the cover and they came out in pieces. the pin had grooves in it where it had been eatin it for a while apparently. shoulda specified that. my bad

4. Randy92782

Randy92782 1 ton status

my dad says they aren't too easy unless you change out the whole pumpkin? i suppose that means the ring and pinion too. idk figured you could just change out the spiders without movin em. going to inspect the damage more fully now.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You can, but there are supposed to be cup washers under them, and if the pinion shaft (pin) is worn, yet another piece to replace, and then the metal fragments that potentially went through the carrier and pinion gear(s), and so on. they aren't hard to replace, but if the pinion shaft is scored, the bolt that holds it in place may be broken, which means more headache.

10 and 14 bolts are so cheap, you are better off replacing the whole setup. Last I checked, pinion/side gear kit was over $80.

6. Randy92782

Randy92782 1 ton status

thanks man. just thought bout changin em. not too sure unless it's real simple. i have a donor 3/4 ton front and rear end that might be what i need for the 4 speed anyhow. never had a problem with 1/2 ton before but i also ran an automatic