Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

spider gears?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by newbe73, Apr 7, 2002.

1. newbe73

newbe73 Registered Member

ok you guys, i saw that mod on this web site where it teaches you how to weld your 14 bolt and give it locked differentials. well it got me to thinking and i want to do that to my blazer. but i have never hurd of 14 bolt . i think that mine is 12 i got 1/2 tone axle and 6 lugs on each side so i guess me real question is will that welding work on mine and will i use the same welding spots and stuff , thanks if you guys can get back to me.

2. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

On a 12 bolt you actually weld the spider gears to the carrier. It is totally different. Maybe someone has pictures they can share?

Brent

3. newbe73

could any of you show me some pics then cuz ireally want to do this, thanks

4. newbe73

what the hell how come no one answers

5. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

spools are just over a hundred bucks for a full spool like 80 for a mini spool. might as well spend the cash on a 12 bolt and save your carrier.
    grant

6. Jmask

Jmask Registered Member

what the hell how come no one answers

looks like they are
    I welded just the gears(yes the same spots) and it seems to work. Never heard of welding the spiders to the carrier, just that when you weld, the gears are in the carrier so you need to be careful. I welded the spiders outside, installed them into the carrier, and off I went. The worst you can do is fork out money to replace the spiders, but the welds should be plenty strong. Hope this helps

7. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    A friend of mine has welded gears on his 12 bolt and it has held up for 3 years of hard wheeling. Not sure where he welded it at though. He did say something about it making it so the carrier cant be used again if you want to return to normal.

8. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

There are no full spools that I have seen for a 12 bolt truck, so you will have to use a mini spool. The 12 bolt car rear end share the same spider gears as the 12 bolt truck, but the cariers are different. FYI I blew up a 12 bolt mini spool in my Jimmy.