Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Spider Lake (on the Rubicon), closed.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ChevyCaGal, Jul 13, 2004.

1. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

For those of you who don't know, Spider Lake is now closed. I am posting this here and not in land use so in hopes the non paying users can ask questions about this, and how it can and will affect them as well as the paying ones. If you think this will not affect me, I live in Florida, Jersey, Texas etc... WRONG! The Rubicon is the most famous trail in the world. If it can happen here, it can and will happen where you live. You might have someone in your state making choices based on this.

This goes beyond people crapping on the trail and picking it up. Take a look at these threads, and check out any other info that is posted up over on PBB regarding this. Look at yourself, your trail habits and things you now need to consider. <font color="red">Be part of the solution, and not part of the problem. </font>

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=266669&amp;page=1

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=266683&amp;page=1

/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

2. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

damb that sucks!!!!

people should have to take an iq test to run the rube.

violators will be shot on site. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

3. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Sigh...sorry to hear about this Steph. I do fear that happening here as well. Ive always packed out my own trash but have recently stepped up my efforts to pack out trash left by others as well, this urges me to clean up even more. Its the only way our hobby will have any future.

4. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

That really sucks, by the way, the land use forum has always been open to non-members.

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

is it just spider lake? Or it is the whole rubicon? That really sucks /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

6. backcountry

backcountry 1/2 ton status

Typical!

It amazes me on how many people get pissed at government official’s etc. because of something like this.

If we would police ourselves, in all aspects of our lives; there would be no need for laws, rules, regulations etc.

"Pack it in, pack it out"

/forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

7. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    is it just spider lake? Or it is the whole rubicon? That really sucks /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Not the whole Rubicon by any means. But any part closed hurts. Once they start closing one part, it will lead to other parts. Especially if the damage moves to other areas. I'll say what I did over on PBB....

The only way to change things is education/awareness, enforcement and penalties. It needs to not be limited to the Rubicon as well. It needs to be turned into something for trails all over and something that is done every single day. If you crack down in one spot, the idiots just move else where and trash that spot until it is closed. If we make it miserable for them to break the rules and trash our trails anywhere they go, hopefully we can keep them at home and force them into finding something else to do.

We can't sit by anymore and say well, dang what fools, stand back and hope they leave us alone. It's time to make it obvious they are being watched. Take pictures or video, write down license plate numbers, vehicle descriptions, personal descriptions of the violators, the location, time of day and anything else of use. Approach others in the area and ask them what they have seen. I'd be willing to go as far as if it's bad enough, then get someone from your group or yourself to head out and get the proper authorities to come back with you and point them out. Sure it may screw up a day of your wheeling and trip. But it sends a message to the jerks. And losing one day on your run is far less of a loss then losing the trail forever because you did nothing.

This really sucks, but unless there are big and severe changes, this is probably the beginning of the end. I hope it's enough of a real wake up call that it gets people moving and seeing that you not only have to watch out for yourself and your group on the trail but for everyone else as well.

Oh, and sorry Steve, I wasn't aware of that. If this needs to be moved, then please do so. Thanks.

8. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Ohh, it's like the domino effect, once one trail goes, it leads to another getting closed, then to another, and another etc. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

9. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

Let's see

Drunk/High driving
    Garbage/poop everywhere
    Guns/fireworks
    People making their own trail
    No one obeying camping rules
    Ramming rigs and yelling at chicks to take their shirts off

Geez, I wonder why they closed it./forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif I will never go their because of the crowd it attracts. I go to the mountains to relax, not dodge drunk drivers and have people yelling at my girlfriend to take her clothes off.

I think they need to gate both ends. As much as I love wheelin, I love the mountains more.

10. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

I get a kick out of half of those monkeys over there screaming about how bad it is when I think a good majoruty of those guys ARE the problem. They not only condone the the dumb ass behavior, but praise it. Then this comes up and they are soooooo shocked.

Now I know there are some very good people over on the PB that work hard to take care of the trail, but their whole BASH EVERYONE , f-this, f-that attitude has translated TO THE RUBICON, and if the board as a whole does not stand up and take some responsibility, then like I said there, SHAME ON THEM!!