Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Spindle bearings?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bad_bo_ti, Jul 22, 2001.

1. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

I was wondering how the heck you get the inner spindle bearings out of the spindle, i have pounded and pounded on them and no movement, i need help/advice quick, this is the only thing holding up my 3/4 ton axle swap. thanks in advance.

Chris

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I had a hard time with that too. You just have to find something that will fit down there and keep hammering. I used a brass rod about .5" dia. It took me about 1.5 hours to get both of them out.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

What bearings in the spindle? The axleshaft rides inside the spindle!!!

Are you talking about the ones inside the brake rotors? Jam a wooden hammer handle down there and knock them and the oil seal out with them. Throw the oil seal away, clean and pack bearings, install, and adjust!

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

4. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

What do you think the axleshaft rides on while turning. There is a ring shaped bearing inside the spindle that supports the axleshaft. What I did (maybe not the best method) was to take a sharp chisel and split the bearing (all the needles fell out). Then pry it up and take it out with a pair of pliers. Like I said, Im sure its not the best way but I was in a hurry and it worked.

82 K5, 6.2L Diesel, sm465, np205, 14 bolt welded, 8 lug 10 bolt lock right, 410 gears, 35" Mud Kings
    SPEAK SOFTLY AND DRIVE A BIG TRUCK

5. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

yup the spidles have bearings in them... and yeah like was said earlier it is a PIA. You may just want to take them to a local machine shop and they can be pressed out gently, but this really isn't necesarry. Otherwise like he said keep on hammering... I'm also sure a little heat on them would help them slide out.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm>http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm</a>

6. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

I used a pilot bearing puller adn it worked great, only after I did the neanderthaw man method on the other side.

Beer!!!! Its not just for breakfast anymore!!.[​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</a>

7. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I took an old carriage bolt and ground a point with a lip on it to catch the bearing edge(kind of like the top of this letter r) and then beat the hell out of it and the bearing came right out. Custom tools by Burt4x4 hehehehe
    Good luck

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/baja/5099>www.geocities.com/baja/5099</a>

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

If there's bearings inside the spindle, I hope mine are okay, because I never even knew they were there!!

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

9. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

I'm in favor of the brass rod myself. Bought one about 2 foot long, and cut it into two (one @ home, one for the road kit). But, i did grind it down some Left about 1/2-3/4" (i think it was) on one end, and ground it down so it's much thinner and then tappers back to full diameter.
    Helps it 'go around corners' better when punching out bearings/races and such. Don't remember it was too expensive, but bought it quite a while back.

10. iceman

iceman 1/2 ton status

There is a special tool for the spindle bearing, it slides in from the bearing side and expands behind the bearing, you then use a hammer and simply tap it out. I don't know who carries the tool, but what doesn't Snap-on carry, my brother-inlaw sent me one a few years ago. Iceman

11. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Lots of folks don't know that those bearings are in there, until they seize and the axle snaps. [​IMG] You have to remove the spindle to access those bearings. I smear a big glob of grease on them anytime I have the front end apart for anything.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

12. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Bingo, and there is also a special tool to put grease into the spindle, with the axle/spindle installed.
    Simple mantaince !

13. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I had forgotten about that tool. Used to see them advertised in the 4WD rags years ago but haven't seen an ad for one in a long time. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

14. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

A special tool just to save yourself from having to remove 6 nuts?? Dont think I'd be wasting my monies on that tools.

Beer!!!! Its not just for breakfast anymore!!.[​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</a>