Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

spindle replacment?? HELP

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ftn96, Oct 19, 2000.

1. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

I took my rotors off to have them turned and I noticed that the spidle spacer/washer that goes between the 2 spindle nuts, has rotated around the spindle(shaft) and has wasted the threads. Do I have to replace the "entire" spindle assembly, or can I remove the spindle shaft by removing the 6 bolts that appear to connect it to the guard plate? This is a 10 bolt 8.5. If so does anyone know where I can get one. None of the parts stores around here carry them. Guess I will need to go to the yards??? The main thing here is can I just replace the spinle shaft where the outer axle sticks out? Maybe someone here has one they can spare, one of you converted 14 bolters???????? Help brothers. My baby is up on jack stands and it killing me.

Don't you buy no ugly truck!

2. k5king

k5king 1/2 ton status

you should be able to remove the axle by taking out the c-clip in the carrier and remove the hub and spindle and the axle should slide right out..

DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT

3. bob malvin

bob malvin Newbie

Hey Brandon,

Have you had any problems with grinding noise when putting truck in 4 wheel drive?

If so, you cannot just replace the spindle. You also have to replace your locking hub. I tore up 3 spindles by not replacing a hub. Did you have trouble getting the outside nut off? Thankfully it was within the warrantee period( I originally had it done at the dealer.)

It's a pretty simple fix, been a few years, but I think you just have to replce a gease seal.

Good luck.

Those 6 bolts when removed will allow you to pull off the spindle with a couple of taps( easy) of a hammer.

4. FWP

FWP CRS

Yep, had the same problem. Take the 6 nuts off holding the spindle to the knuckle, the spindle will come off (it may be rusted to the knuckle- use a little WD). Get one from salvage, put a new inner needle bearing into the spindle and V-ring seal on the axle stub and you're all set. Oh, Don't forget to make sure the pin in the inner hub nut is still there. That's what happened to mine, the pin sheared off, caused the whole nut and washer setup to eat the heck out of the spindle.

<font color=blue>Maverick</font color=blue> <font color=red>CH 4 or 35</font color=red>

5. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

Inland truck parts sells new spindles with the needle bearings installed for about $50.00. A complete set of two spindle nuts and the lock ring is $5.00. All the parts are made by Dana even on the 10 bolt.

[​IMG]

6. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Now that you all have mentioned this, I did notice that there is a hole in the inner nut and holes in the middle washer, but there was no pin. So this would explain why it turned adn trashed my threads. Ok, so I need to get a new spindle nut kit and new spindle. Thanks gent. Damn this has turned out to be an expensive brake job. I had to buy about $60 worth of tools too. MAybe I should have stuck with a 2wd? NOT!!!!!!

7. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

PS. Does anyone think I can use one of the little bearings out of a U-joint cap as a pin for the ring and nut??? Was just a thought.

8. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I would Not gerry rig that pin!!
    FYI I was having troubles a few years back finding thoes pesky spindle/wheelbearing nuts so I when to the junk yard and found a full size Bunco and no Chev 4x4s so I tor apart the hub and WOW the same gosh darn nuts are used on them too!!
    Sounds like the source listed above has new ones for sale, gium, you don't want thoes nut to loosin up on ya[​IMG]!!!

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com

9. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Amen brother Zepplin, I guess when the levy breaks it floods!!!Then of course, it would be nobody's fault but mine.

10. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

LOL[​IMG]hehehe
    I tell you what I'll play the tunes you bring the beer!!
    And by the way you spelt it wrong, Zeppelin! I'll let it slide this time[​IMG]
    Later Bro

11. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    You are not telling the truth, Dana does not, did not make all parts on the 10 bolt.
    Please stop this crap.

12. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

I pissed at myself when I first registered my name. Before I found out I spelled Zeppelin wrong it was too late to change it. If I do I will have to become a stranger all over again.

Dazed and Confused in a 74 Blazer

Zeppelin

13. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

I know, I saw that after I submitted it. My typing skills sucks. Thanks for all the help. I'm going to keep the current spindles for now, I got new spindle nut kits, with good pins and ashers, so they should hold for now. Had to get new rotors too. And purchase several tools I didn't have. The Blazer account is tapped out for this month. Called Chevy dealer here, they wanted $200 for each spindle. I'm hoping one of you fellow 10bolt/14bolt swapper would be glad to donate your 10 bolt spindles. :)

14. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Hey 'Zepplin'
    Maby if you send a very polite email with no hurrys or worries to CK5 AKA STevO The K5MAN!! And ask him IN THE NAME OF ROCK N ROLL, Please Oh Please fix my user name to read ZEPP<font color=red>E</font color=red>LIN !!
    You may just get him to doit??
    Best of luck
    Ohya And Led Zeppelin is the GREATEST band EVER!!!!