Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Spinning Hub????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 3 on the tree, Apr 10, 2006.

1. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

I finally gave the burro an inspection today, after OCG. My passenger side Spicer is no longer stationary. It spins around, but it still locks and unlocks the axle. The drivers side does not spin around. I took both apart, down to the inner wheel bearing, and could find no differences. Is the rubber O ring supposed to fit tight enough to hold the hub selector in one position? BTW, this is a D44 axle with later model Spicer lockouts.:confused: :confused: :confused:

2. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Do you mean the outer part that bolts to the hub spins around? Or do you mean the selector dial spins arounds completely without stopping at the lock or free marks?

If you can spin the whole thing around as if the little allen bolts weren't there, then I think your hub is garbage.

3. 3 on the tree

Yep, the whole outer assy spins around as a unit(the chrome outer & the selector moves with it. From what I saw, there is nothing internally to keep it from rotating. That is why I think it is just a worn out O ring. The drivers side will rotate if I back off the allen bolts, so the O ring is not compressed against the end of the tube. I just wanted to get some opinions from more experienced folks. The selector still stops wherre it is supposed to, in relation to the markings.

4. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

The hub *should* have splines on it that *should* engage with the splines on the lock out. That *should* stop the lockout body from rotating.

If you are talking about external style lockouts...then I have no idea, as I have never worked on one.

5. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I don't see how it can spin freely but not fall off. :confused: It does normally spin as you drive because it it bolted to the hub, which is spinning with the wheel, rotor, etc. If you could spin the cap by hand without the wheel turning, then it really couldn't lock the axleshaft to the hub. :confused: I mean, even if your allen bolts were out, the outside of the locking hub is splined to fit inside in the hub, so the outside of the locking hub would still turn with the hub assembly and the inside of the locking hub would still turn with the axleshaft.

I think I'm understanding the situation wrong or you are looking at it wrong.

6. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    and another ones gone and another ones gone and another hub bites the dust!! Hey gonna get you too another hub bites the dust.:haha:

7. mrk5

Yeah, what he said.

8. 3 on the tree

Now that I am thoroughly confused.:D Looking at an exploded diagram in my Chiltons, there is nothing to prevent the outer cover from turning. The allen bolts go through the outer cover to a flat washer with tapped holes for the bolts. What keeps the outerfrom falling off, is that outer snap ring, which keeps the threaded washer from falling out. Someone take a look, and tell me if I am missing something.:confused: :confused: Heya, 70jimmy, I heard that the "power ring" manufactures are going on strike nationwide. :haha:

9. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

That is not a flat washer. That part of the lockout engages in the splines of the hub. On a 10 bolt there are 60 splines in there IIRC

10. mrk5

If the whole lockout assembly can turn, your 4 wheel drive wouldn't work. The outer part of the lockout assembly is splined to the inside of the rotor/hub. The inside of the lockout is splined to the axle shaft.

When you turn the dial on the lockout, a coupler slides into place that locks everything together.

So if you can spin the entire lockout assembly, it ain't splined to the rotor/hub.