Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Spinning sound

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MudFrog, Jun 27, 2000.

1. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Also on my 89 blazer I hear what sounds like ball bearings spinning freely, this lasts for like 2 seconds, and when it stops my check engine light comes on untill I restart the blazer and it does it again. Usually it takes like 10 minutes for me to hear the spinning sound and once again the light will show up. Any Ideas??

89 K5 Silverado

2. MudRebel350

MudRebel350 1/2 ton status

Get the code out of the computer. IF you dont know how I'll tell ya.

J.D.
    88 Gmc Jimmy

3. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Don't have a clue how to do that. Before I bought it the guy told me he took it to two differen't mechanics and they couldn't figure out what it was.

89 K5 Silverado

4. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Alright guys I know ya'll can help me out with this. Anybody think of anything it could be?

89 K5 Silverado

5. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Sorry mudfrog, I drive an antique, '74 model, that doesn't have all those "goodies". I know Autozone has a little pamplet that tells you how to check the "code" by reading the check engine lite. You might pick one up (free) or wait 'til Monday when everyone is back on here. Good luck!

Michael [​IMG] http://jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm

6. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

It's really easy to get the error codes from the computer. Take a peice of wire a few inches long and stick it in the computer terminal under the drivers side dash. The first two pins on the upper left are the ones you want to connect with the wire. Turn the ignition on but DON'T start the engine. After the check engine light turns off, it will flash once, then twice. This is a Code 12 which means the computer is working correctly. It flashes code 12 three times then starts flashing any error codes starting with the lowest number. Each error code flashes three times too. There are charts in any good repair manual that tell you what each code means, and they also have instructions that are probably better than mine. I guess you could always post the codes here and one of us will tell you what they mean. The only problem is that the 1st generation computers in GM vehicles can really only tell you if a sensor is bad or reading bad information, not if there is a mechanical problem that is causing the problem. I hope this helps, and good luck. Problems like this can be a real pain in the a$$ because it's usually something simple that gets overlooked.

I had a complete computer failure in my old Pontiac that would randomly try to fire all 6 cylinders at the same time. It took about 2 weeks and 2 new computers before I realized my alternator was putting out over 16 volts and it was frying the computer.

Joe
    Rochester Institute of Technology Team Mini-Baja
    88 Jimmy

7. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

Could be the E.G.R. valve.The code will tell you for sure. Also when done checking codes remove negitive battery cable to clear codes from the E.C.M., Remember to that there could possibly be old codes in the E.C.M. Beleive it stores them for so many starts, so it depends on how long you've had your blazer.

8. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Well I never checked the codes, but I did take my top off, and this allowed me to hear the sound more clearly. Instead of a spinning sound it was actually a tinging sound and it ended up being my timing. Thanks for the help.

89 K5 Silverado

9. Laurie

Laurie Registered Member

Thanks for the info on the codes.