Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Splicing a new section onto bent frame....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by solarguru, Jun 11, 2004.

1. solarguru

solarguru Newbie

Hey all, New around here, I have been checking in from time to time and reading post, but just got the membership to start posting....

I need some advise, I have an 88' that was in a front end collision and the frame is bent on the drivers side in before the cab, what do you guy's think about splicing a new section and bolting the crossmembers back up to the new piece. I have an 86 LWB that I was thinking of using part of the frame for, but am worried about it holding up...

I am a good welder but I do not want problems later on down the road...

or do you guy's think that I should just look for a new frame and swap the whole body? Let me know what you think... /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. lason

lason 1/2 ton status

Personally I would look into either having the frame straightened or just swapping out the frames. I help a buddy that did the same thing and we switched out the body onto another frame he found that had a rotted out body. If you weld a new piece on it will never be as strong and will still have to be taken to a frame shop to check for alignment in order to do it right IMO so you might as well save the hassle and have the current one straightened or just replace it.