Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

splicing the ends back on my Coax

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by cybrfire, Sep 27, 2003.

1. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

OK, I cut the extra coax off to wire my cb and scanner. Now I need ends to put back on. Went to radio shack and they have them but the cables are thicker, larger diameter, than the ends are. Anybody know where to get them?

2. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

Radio Shack sells the connectors you need.

What type did you get? screw on, solder on, or crimp on?
    Normally you can just strip the outter insulation off and the connectors will fit.

3. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I got crimp on connectors from radio shack but there ain't no way they will ever fit. Followed the instructions for stripping the cable and folding the wires. No luck.

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

There's just something I don't like about radio shack. I usely go out to the truck stop for coax and ends. I personally prefer the soder ends vers the crimp on ends.

5. bee32

bee32 1/2 ton status

You need a PL-259 found at radio shack. They also have a reducer for the cable. I forget the what they are called. You have to saudder them in, but it is well worth it.
    Also Make sure your coax from the CB to the antenae is at least 18 ft. long. Many SWR problems if it aint.

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    You need a PL-259 found at radio shack. They also have a reducer for the cable. I forget the what they are called. You have to saudder them in, but it is well worth it.
    Also Make sure your coax from the CB to the antenae is at least 18 ft. long. Many SWR problems if it aint.

[/ QUOTE ] The 18 ft. coax for proper SWR is a mith. As long as it's long enough to go from your radio to your antenna, it'll be fine, it doen't need to be any longer. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

7. bee32

bee32 1/2 ton status

I thaught so too. But I was having problems with an older rig I was hookin up a few years ago. I couldn't figure why I couldn't get below 1.3. I put in a new cable that messured 18'4", and it dropped down to 0.6 on the meter. Ever since then I always make my cables the same length. I know most of it is due to where your antenna is located, but it worked for me once and it's kinda like that lucky pair of underwear you wear for big races. You know? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gifIt may or may not be true. Sometimes it might and sometimes it might not work. If it works for you than why change it. I would never say that anything is an actual fact, I will only give my personal opinions. You know? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif