Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Split flip front-clip: anybody done it?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dremu, Mar 25, 2007.

1. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Seeing as I have a spare front clip :doah: I was thinking this might be a fun low-budget project -- not for my 'wheeler, which would just get bashed up, but for my tow rig.

Yes, 73k5Blazer, if I had a spare $1700+ sitting around, I'd buy fiberglass from US Body Source, but ... =))

So, the cutting and welding is doable. I may have to change the front bumper; it's currently a Warn-style monstrosity that may get in the way.

I'm debating where to hinge the thing; along the bottom edge of the lower lip looks best, but would require some reinforcement. The last thing I really wanna do to my big-block sixpack is ADD weight. I s'pose in losing the inner fenders I'd have a bit of weight loss; any other stuff I can nuke?

And yeah, then I have the fun of relo-ing the battery trays and anything else that mounts to the inner fenders...

Still seems like it'd be fun, never mind easier to work on the motor, etc, to just flip the whole front clip up.

Hmm, counterbalancing it. And how to fasten it down -- Jeep-style straps, or Dzus on the back?

Anybody out there done this with a steel front clip? Got pix?

-- A

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

3. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Weird ... hood still opens AND the flip clip?

Hmm :thinking:

-- A