Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

split tailgate

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rick90yj, Feb 24, 2004.

1. rick90yj

rick90yj Newbie

I was reading the "Guide for Packing for the trail" tech guide and wondered if anybody has any information on the split tailgate that is used on Grim Reaper's Blazer. I'd really like to find out what was involved. Thanks in advance.

2. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Grim has all the info you could want, he built it himself.

3. rick90yj

rick90yj Newbie

do you have his email address?...I can't find his info on here. Thanks

4. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    do you have his email address?...I can't find his info on here. Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Give it a couple of minutes, he'll respond. He see's all.....

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

It's built with 1 x 2 box. The trick is to make the seam in the middle at about a 20degree angle. That will alow one door to hold the other closed.
    You have to offset the inged out past the body line to get the doors to open that far. There is a "U" shapped frame that goes all the way around the opening. It has a brace to at a angle to brace it so it doesn't pull the beds sides in.
    Here is a picture where you can see the hinge detail as well as how I bolted into the bed rails. There is a backing plate under that lip. The top bar with the knob is how I hook the soft top down.

[​IMG]
    The one mistake I made is the left door (or what ever door the spare hangs on should have been a little wider. 35 is MAX it will handle at the width I Built it. The hinges could handle a 40. I can sit on the spare and my kid can easily swing it if the truck is level.
    [​IMG]
    You can see the inner frame a little in this picture.
    [​IMG]
    These pictures are in http://www.coloradok5.com/stcreview.shtml and between them and the pack it up story thats really about all the pictures I have right now.