Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SPLITFIRE SPARK PLUGS..ANYONE USE THEM ???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1BAD88, Jun 1, 2002.

1. 1BAD88

1BAD88 Registered Member

I am thinking of buying a set .Has anyone used them on a tbi 350? Do they really add horsepower as claimed? what do you guys think?????????????

2. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I ran a set in another vehicle and personally I don't think they are worth it.

3. calcide

calcide 1/2 ton status

<CLICK>
    I hear they work well with the Tornado (thing you put on your intake to spin the air going into the engine). Added gains are had by installing a coffee can exhaust tip, and don't forget the magnets that attach to your fuel line to "align the fuel molecules". Of course you've got your super prolong, too. That combination unlocks the secret horsepower genie locked up in gasoline... Mad gains to be had here, but only if you run race gas, too!
    <CLICK> sarcasm off.

Your truck will run much better with splitfires, if your old plugs are bad. But then, even champion plugs (hate them) would make it run better. I personally prefer NGK plugs to everything else. You are better off spending more money on a quality plug wire set and cap and rotor. Look for wires with a spiral conductor and a cap with brass contacts.

4. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

NGK's!!!(thats coming for a parts counter worker,LOL)

5. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i have ran a set and no they dont work like they say /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

6. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i run em on a stock tbi 350 with 155,000 on it and they make it run better but no more power.

7. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

oh yeah i love them.. they made my wallet 30 bucks lighter.. and i still have to mash the skinny pedal...

No they dont do a thing...

8. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I wouldnt say Prolong is crap. I know a few Funny car Drivers that use it and swear by it. It more than doubles the life of there cranks. It also lets them use the blocks longer, and the heads hold up better. There isnt any harder test out there than putting it up to 5000 + HP.

Dan

9. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

I'm with Wayne. Few years back, I worked at Trak Auto (long before they closed up shop), and I took one summer just to test EVERY kinda plug I could find. Truth be told? I like the good ol' AC DELCO plugs at $.99 ea.! They run forever, and give VERY similar power as other plugs.

As for the split fires - I personally noticed that they fouled much faster than the other plugs that I ran that year...

Just my .02!

-Dan

10. calcide

calcide 1/2 ton status

I've read several reports written by engineers that all state that oil additives, including super prolong, are largely ineffective. If it's so good, why doesn't an oil company make their motor oil with prolong in it? If Mobile One with Super Prolong oil came out, it would probably sell well.

Also, simply because it works well in a serious drag engine does not mean it will be especially beneficial to my truck engine. Build 2 identical (not possible) GM 6.2L diesels, run them (with identical operating conditions and load) in a regular vehicle, not a dyno (I don't drive a dyno to work every day). Put the additive in one and not the other. If the additive makes the engine last longer, I might buy it. But it better make the engine last a LOT longer, otherwise all the money used to buy the additive could have been spent on a rebuild. Same goes with any gas mileage improvements, the gain has to be more than the cost of the additive.

11. DesertDueler

Well I am a drag racer, and I use anything that helps make my parts last longer because we are hard on parts. I ran my motor for 3yrs with 200 hp shot ofN20 and drove on the street and all the bearings still looked like new when I pulled it apart to rebearing(Normal matenience is to change bearings every year, so after checking them all the time, I decided to finally change them anyways since race season is comming). I dont know how well they work is street cars, but work great in drag cars. And as for syn. oil, I dont use it. I run Valvoline straigh 50 weight. Syn. oils dont hold up well in drag racing either for some reason. Ive tried it, but it burns it like crazy. Doesnt burn normal oil at all.

Dan

12. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I agree with Dan here. I also am in the drag race game and I know several guys who have used it in NMCA and IHRA with good results. Guys went a lot more runs on motors when they used it, but I think all these hype up products and stuff for daily drivers aren't worth the expense.

BTW... Split fires blow... anyone who knows the basics of electronics and combustion engine basics know they are a rip off

13. 1BAD88

1BAD88 Registered Member

Well I decided to get a set and try em out for myself I got a set of ten plugs for 13$ at k-mart on the going out of buissiness sale .I put them in earlier today and I did notice that the truck runs smoother but I dont feel any power increase but for a buck a piece I guess I cant go wrong hopefully they last .But thanks for all the input dudes ............

14. calcide

calcide 1/2 ton status

I don't get into drag racing much, but real drag engines are a whole different ball game from street engines. If an additive helps your god-awfully expensive crank live longer then of course it's worth the expense. But putting $12 extra into your oil every change adds up and it may be cheaper to let your engine wear out at 250,000 miles and rebuild it than spend $1400 in additive to make it last until 350,000.

I tried a couple of different oils in my Syclone, it seemed to run best with Mobile 1. I've heard that synthetics can leak out of seals where dinosaur oil won't. Maybe that's why it burns more. I run regular multi-weight valvoline these days and I like it just fine.

Anyway, I guess it's like everything in the automotive world, there is no right answer for every situation. Whatever works.

15. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

AFAIK, if you run dino. oil in your truck and have ran it that way for years and miles, changing to synthetic oil is a waste of time because the seals in the motor will leak as stated above. If you run syn. oil in a brand new motor off the factory floor or a re-man from the get-go you will not have to worry about it leaking or burning off. The syn. oils last longer and the viscosity doesnt break down as fast so therefore you can go longer inbetween oil changes. Also, from what I have heard, syn. oil is better at cooling than dino. oil. I am not an expert on petroleum products but I know that I use nothing but syn. oil in my new car and the manual states that I can go 7000 miles between oil changes. Its worth the extra money in my situation for the new car. In my truck...pure old dino juice until I get a crate motor.
    Justin
    Justin

16. DesertDueler

Synthetic is great for street cars as long as you start out on it. But for high hp motors good old regular oils works great. There arent many drag racers that use syn. oil. Too expensive for the 1-2 hp gains. We put the money elsewhere. I have yet to see any big racers use mobil 1. Most use Valavoline Racing oil, or Castrol racing oil, both are not syn.
    I also change my oil every other time at the track.

Dan

17. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Don't start out a new motor on synthetic oil. Run Dino oil till the motor is broken in then switch to synthetic oil at the first oil change. You need the extra friction to seat/ wear in the rings.

18. DesertDueler

I know that, I was just saying it needs to go in asap. And by new I meant like by the first oil change. BTW the LS1 are broke in with mobil1 /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Dan

19. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

If spark plugs stayed clean it'd prolly be a good plug. But as soon as one side has more resistance, then the spark will only go to the other side and then you have less spark.