Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Splitfire vs. OEM

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Alex, Aug 13, 2001.

1. Alex

Alex Registered Member

Hi all, I inherited a set of Splitfire plugs and wires on my '91. I'm not a Splitfire fan but are they worth keeping considering the plugs and wires match? I prefer OEM product. Just your thoughts. Thanks,
    Alex

2. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

in my opinion they are a POS. my father put some in his boat (out board evanrude) and it ran like SH#T.

3. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

I'd rather have the Delco Rapid fire's.. Put them in my 83.. man what a difference..

Round Rock, Texas I haven't failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work. <a target="_blank" href=http://www.rocko.rockcrawler.com>www.rocko.rockcrawler.com</a>

4. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Heres the deal I have with splitfire plugs. They have 2 prongs for the supposed increase in spark. Last I heard the spark can only arch to one prong at a time. So in theory wouldn't it be worthless to have 2 prongs if they both cant arch at the same time????

Does anyone have a grinding disk I can borrow?[​IMG]3/4 in progress[​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</a>

5. 502Burban

502Burban 1/2 ton status

I've never gained anything but worse performance from
    S*itfire plugs. [​IMG] I'd ditch 'em in a hurry for some Delco Rapidfires.

Robb
    '73 GMC Suburban - 502DFI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/robbrj>community.webshots.com/user/robbrj</a>

6. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

I know that the splitfire plugs basically make your rig run a little hotter... They also clamed that you would get a preformance gain out of those plugs but you dont... But there configuration actually makes a hotter spark and in turn make the motor run hotter then it needs to.. Personally i will never put those in my car/truck even if someone paid me to do it.. They do more damage then they do good... Stick with oem or something like the autolite dbl. plats....

Prembird
    [​IMG] <font color=blue> If it aint</font color=blue><font color=red> LOUD </font color=red><font color=blue> Then turn it </font color=blue><font color=red> UP</font color=red> [​IMG]

7. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

I know that the splitfire plugs basically make your rig run a little hotter... They also clamed that you would get a preformance gain out of those plugs but you dont... But there configuration actually makes a hotter spark and in turn make the motor run hotter then it needs to.. Personally i will never put those in my car/truck even if someone paid me to do it.. They do more damage then they do good... Stick with oem or something like the autolite dbl. plats....

Prembird
    [​IMG] <font color=blue> If it aint</font color=blue><font color=red> LOUD </font color=red><font color=blue> Then turn it </font color=blue><font color=red> UP</font color=red> [​IMG]

8. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

As far as electricity is concerned...it wants to take the easiest path. Now, you know that spark plugs get worn and/or cruded up and once one of those little split things is a little harder to arch to for the electricity, then it will only go to one and you loose power. It doesn't take long. If they do make a better spark, then they really should be used in race cars where they are changed very, very often. I like ac delco or rapid fires.
    the split fires do make a pretty computer generation though...*rolls eyes*
    I'd replace them...

No prohibiting allowed!!!!

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer/>http://www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer/</a>

9. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I put some in my baot engine a while back (95 model 5.0L V8). I fired it up and all sounded good and smooth. Well, I got out about a mile or so on the lake when it really started running rough and inconsistent. Didn't want to keep the boat on plane. I checked my wires first to make sure they were all still connected and to make sure I didn't break any. They all looked good.

I decided not to run the engine again until I found out what was wrong. So, here I am, a mile or so from the marina, without my cell phone (don't ask me why it was in the car), in the middle of the afternoon on a weekday. Not another boat in sight. You know how hard it is to paddle a 4,000 pound boat by yourself?!? I do!

Anyway, after checking everything else, I put the old corroded plugs back in and it ran like a champ. The S*itfires are now at the bottom of the lake! Just kidding, I wouldn't hurt the fish like that. But they have certainly been trashed!

Brian
    Click to see <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com> My 85 Jimmy </a>
    PM me for a great deal on blinker fluid! Best price on the net!

10. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Yeah I bought some and tried them out... they seemed ok at first, but man they do bite...! I went and bought some NKG's and I like them a lot. I would not put Split Fires in again... that is unless I am stuck and need to use one until I can buy another one so I can dump it. But that'd be the only time.....

C'mon captain break pedal... quit looking for the parade and drive!! [​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html</a>
    &lt;&gt;&lt; MARK 1:17 &gt;&lt;&gt;

11. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

I run NGK I never tried the splitfires in the blazer but did in a car once had them out and back to parts store when befor the cooled back off. I only run the NGK's cuse there shorter than the OEM and not a costly as the so called header plugs. The NGKs are the same size as the Accel header plugs for 1/4 the money

12. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I'll just also add... they are junk... trash em! NGK or AcDelco plus are the way to go IMO.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm>http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm</a>

13. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

AC plugs rule, that is all i will ever use. sometimes you learn your lesson the hard expensive way.

ARQ.

1-72 4x4 CST Blazer
    2-71 4x4 CST Blazer

14. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I have tried every kind of plug in my truck besides NGK, and I wouldn't spend any more than $1 a plug. My truck has AC R45TS's in it now and I wouldn't spend the money on anything more expensive.

My buddy has a top fuel race boat team and they use standard Autolite plugs and change all 16 every run.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

16. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

i ran a set in my 69 chevelle, they SUCK!!! 2 weeks later the prongs (or whatever theyre called) disappeared on two plugs......never again shall i fall for marketing tricks, stick with OEM parts for regular maintenence stuff. they have had billions of dollars of reasearch and years of experiance behind them.

Knife.
    knife.coloradok5.com

17. k5kraze

k5kraze Registered Member

AC Delco all the way, also used Bosch Platinum - no difference, except the price tag...