Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Splitting a 203?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Leadfoot, Aug 26, 2002.

1. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Thanks to MTPockets for reminding me of the link for t-cases. It gives me a good idea, of what I am up against. Next question, can I split the rear section of the 203 from the front range box without causing any issues, such as bearings falling out and not being able to put them back in while the range box is still in the truck?

THANKS

2. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

When you pull the tail housing 15 loose needle bearings will fall out, and when you split the chain drive section off of the range box 15 identical needle bearings will fall out, thats really all that should fall out. One suggestion after you take the tail housing off, put a hose clamp around the shaft so that when youre working on it and trying to get the chain box off the gear doesn't slide off the shaft sending a couple hundred small needle bearings everywhere. All can be done in the truck although there is a roll pin on the diff loc shift rail that needs to come out that can be a real pain in the truck, but it can be done, i've done it a couple times, and all the bearings that fall out just need to be stuck back in and held in place with grease. It can be a messy job but not really all that hard. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

3. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    put a hose clamp around the shaft so that when youre working on it and trying to get the chain box off the gear doesn't slide off the shaft sending a couple hundred small needle bearings everywhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's exactly what happened! I have 40 of the 41 needle bearings (still have to find the last one), to put back in along with the spacers. 3 rows of 41 for a total of 123, with spacers in between. My big problem is that I can get the spacer in, but all the needles must have shifted, because there is not enough room for the last row of needle bearings and final spacer (guess I have some work in front of me). I was thinking of splitting the case from the range box, hoping it would make it easier. Now I'm not sure what I'm going to do.

Thanks for the info though.

4. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

never mind found it. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif