Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Splurged a little today!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 86blazerk5, Jul 26, 2001.

1. 86blazerk5

86blazerk5 1/2 ton status

Ok well, I recently bought a rebuilt carborater, a rochester q-jet rebuilt by holly. I puit it on a month ago and the thing worked great for a week, and then it trashed itself. I have no horsepower in the upper range, the harder I hold the gas the more it bogs down, it ocasionally gets stuck in high idle when I park it and then back fires when i shut it down and it awlways loads up on me. So today I took it back, it had a one year warenty. But I have a freind who is a good mechanic and he told me he had recently bought a ford carborater rebuilt by Holly and took it back 3 times before he got a good one. So I said screw holly. I had them refund me for the rebuilt one, and spent another 170 on a brand new Edlebrock 800 cfm electric choke quadra jet. I will be installing it tomorrow. Hopefully, this will solve the problem once and for all.
    Ike

Spreading The K5 Gospel!

2. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

What engine are you putting it on?

Theres nothing like fiddling with my Jimmy! 1984 GMC Jimmy 379 diesel, 700R4, 3.73s, 31 x10.50 x 15

3. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Sounds good! I went on a major spending spree today too - New wiper refills and a tube of Loctite, totalling $12.68

Generic Signature
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

4. 86blazerk5

Its just going on my stock 350, but it will be nice becuase I have a hi performance 700r4 tranny that will let me know how much better this new carb is. It loves to jit hard, but with that peice of junk holly, it couldnt hardly get enough power to hit.
    iKe

Spreading The K5 Gospel!

5. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

I dont know for a fact but I think 850 cfm is too much for a stock 350!

Theres nothing like fiddling with my Jimmy! 1984 GMC Jimmy 379 diesel, 700R4, 3.73s, 31 x10.50 x 15

6. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I have also heard about numerous problems w/ the holley rebuilt units. The Edelbrock are great units though...

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm>http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm</a>

7. Redfrog

Redfrog 1/2 ton status

Where was everyone when I asked about these a month ago? :) I bought I sill do not have it on should I just send it back
    or try it?

HEY Fords!!! how many flushes does it
    take to get rid of you

8. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Look up Grim reaper. He knows one hell of a lot on the carbs. He would be the one to talk too.........Dan

If it ain't broke.......Don't fix it....

9. 86blazerk5

well, I just got it on, and everything set, and it is great. It is actually a 795 cfm to be exact. Not 850, and it is awsome. I verry pleased, much better than that junk holly rebuilt. and finally, I have my power back. It is worth 470 dollars, for all of you contimplating a new carb. Think twice before buying a rebuilt one especially from holly, and remember when it comes to something like a carborater, it is worth spending a few extra dolars.
    Ike

Spreading The K5 Gospel!

10. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

thats great glad it worked out for you.

Engineers up!

11. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

Glad it works for you.

12. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

thought I spent a lot today, finally got the screws or bolts (what's the difference) to put my new fenders on. total of 35 bucks!!! I can hear myself tonight telling hub how much i spend, and then saying yeah, but some guy on CK5 spent tons more than me.....the money pit is draining the bank, and I can't even drive it yet! Does it ever end????

1986 K5 4" skyjacker suspension 3 " body, 14 bolt rear, dana 44 front, TIRED ol 305

13. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

NO!!!

It needs a bigger motor.
    what's in it now?
    doen't matter it NEEDS A BIGGER MOTOR
    89 350tbi/700r4h/np208/4.11's

14. 86blazerk5

I have been at for two years now, All I ever wanted was a soft top. that evolved into 33s, custom wheels, 4 inch lift, high perfeornace tranny, and carb...I see no end in sight. Now I want 35s... 4.56s, and I still ahvnt gotten the soft top.
    Many guys have been at it much longer than I and they also see no end in sight. If you arent looking for a full llife long comitment, get out while you still can if its not to late already.
    Ike

Spreading The K5 Gospel!