Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Spokane, Washington; Keystone Kop syndrome

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by dontoe, Oct 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Tuesday, October 11, 2005 · Last updated 10:19 p.m. PT

Spokane deputies face discipline for prank car chase

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

SPOKANE, Wash. -- A red-faced sheriff has apologized to city police, who joined deputies in a phony car chase that a sheriff's spokesman called "horseplay that has gone seriously awry."

The Oct. 3 chase ended when police used a spike strip to disable the fleeing car and drew their weapons on the driver, who turned out to be an undercover deputy being chased by another deputy on the way to the Public Safety Building to end their shifts.

The incident involving three deputies is being investigated and will be turned over to the Office of Professional Standards, which will report to Spokane County Sheriff Mark Sterk, spokesman Cpl. Dave Reagan said Monday.

"The sheriff was very embarrassed to have to go to the chief of another agency and apologize," Reagan said. "Nobody has a very good explanation of what occurred other than it appears to be horseplay that has gone seriously awry."

The deputies involved in the unnecessary chase through city streets may have violated state law and department policy, Reagan said.

The deputies, who were hired in 2002, remain at work, said Reagan, who said he cannot release their names until an investigation is complete.

The chase started early on Oct. 3 when a deputy in a marked patrol car turned on the emergency lights and chased two deputies in an unmarked Mustang, apparently as a gag, Reagan said.

The three had just completed a traffic stop east of downtown Spokane and were headed to the Public Safety Building near downtown to end their shifts.

When the deputy in the marked car turned on the lights, deputies in the unmarked Mustang accelerated, Reagan said.

After the cars entered the city, a city police officer saw the chase and joined in, thinking the deputy in the marked patrol car was trying to make a legitimate stop.

Officers heard radio calls about the chase and laid a spike strip across a street about three blocks from the Public Safety Building, flattening one of the Mustang's tires.

The undercover deputy who was driving got out of the car as police officers pointed guns at him, telling him to get on the ground, Reagan said.

Another Spokane police officer arriving at the scene quickly got out of his car to assist, but apparently failed to set his parking brake, Reagan said. That vehicle rolled through a cable fence and struck a pole, causing about $2,000 damage. The only damage to the unmarked Mustang was a flat tire.

State law says policing agencies must have reasonable and necessary reasons to break traffic laws, Reagan said.

"If it's not reasonable and it's not necessary, we're held to the same standards the general public is held to," Reagan said. "I want to assure the public that this is not business as usual."

Police appear to have reacted correctly to the deputies' chase, Deputy Police Chief Al Odenthal and Reagan said.

Spokane police aren't angry at the deputies, acting spokesman Lt. Dean Sprague said.

"They're the ones who have to answer for it," Sprague said. "They were goofing around. You just kind of go, 'Come on, guys.'"

---

Information from: The Spokesman-Review, http://www.spokesmanreview.com

2. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Two job openings at Spokane County.....

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

4. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Hmm... I must have missed that. I guess I should pay closer attention to local news. I know who Dean Sprague is... his kids go to the school I substitute as maintenance supervisor at. Maybe I'll ask him more about what those other guys were thinking. :haha:

5. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

Where do you find this stuff!?

Horse play is bad ... but who forgets to put their car in park and / or set the parking brake whne they get out? That is the sort of guy who's gonna accidently shoot someone for "J" walking. No offense to the guys in Blue, but this one doesn't belong on your team ... or the goof balls chasing each other around the city!

Eric M.

6. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

:eek1: You haveto wonder if the ones playong around had their radios on. :doah:

7. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Really???????????????????

8. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Read that in the paper this morning...I think they should be tazered...:D

9. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

Oh, come on, lighten up. Just because it's an article about cops screwing up, you don't need to get you panties all in a bunch ;)

Find an article about a contractor being an idiot (that shouldn't be hard) and post it up ... that'll show me!

Aren't you forgetting something .... I could swear this was a repost :doah:

Didn't mean to offend you, no hard feelings.

Eric M.

10. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I think he was agreeing with you.... :wink1: :wink1:

edit: after reading the exchange, I'm guessing not...

Last edited: Oct 12, 2005
  11. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Lighten up my left and right freaking testicle because you obviously don't have a friggin clue on what you said that I'm calling you on.....................

If you missed my first post, you would find that the whole story, while sad, is quite hilarious. What I don't find funny is the fact that you are seriously affected with a bad case of stupidity of the brain cells..................

To say that someone who would would forget to put the transmission into "park" would go around shooting jaywalkers is wrought with monkey crap for intelligent thought.

The illusion you have painted with that statement would make people suspect that there's some perfection you expect out of people other than yourself. Apparently you have forgotten Life Lesson Number 1, there is no perfect human, period. To expect that out of other people is just stupid. To expect that out of people who's hearts are racing ten thousand beats a second, the adrenaline is pumping at fourty five thousand p.s.i. usually is coming from a person who's never experienced those things in their lives.

Maybe you should think twice before making some quarter-cocked statement filled with idiocy........................And learn how to read the ****ing trail...............

12. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

This is the second time I've gone round with you. I feel like I'm in 7th grade again. I don't come here for this.

If you think about my statement a little more, I think it might be clear to you what I was trying to get across. It was more about how this fellow acts poorly under pressure - forgets to set a parking brake, and may do something inappropriate in another situation - shoot a "J" walker. That was an exageration to make my point and I can see how someone who is in law enforcement would be offended by that. Maybe you feel this officer is still right for the job, my opinion is he isn't. You know more about this than I do, so, I'll leave it at that, it was my opinion. As I've said about 3 times before, I didn't mean to offend anyone.

Let's just drop it and get back to trucks ... or reposts ... or whatever doesn't stir the poop around here.

Eric M.

13. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

You're making a lot of generalizations and making statements on what you think I'm thinking, but then again, I haven't posted my thoughts on the appropriate conclusion and if I did, once again you would be shown to be off base. Furthermore, while entitled to your own thoughts, once you put them down and post for the world to see, you should be prepared to be defend those comments; especially if they are stupid generalizations like you are doing.

But then again, I don't expect much more from you anyway. From what I can see, you are perfect to be in such situations because every little thing will be covered perfectly. It must be a good thing there's no such thing as jaywalkers around these parts since a lot of them would be dead................

14. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

???
    Tuesday, October 11, 2005 · Last updated 10:19 p.m. PT

Spokane deputies face discipline for prank car chase

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

SPOKANE, Wash. --

15. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

I'm sorry you feel the way you do. I'd respond but I think it would read a lot like my last post. I don't think you're understanding my point.

In any event, this really isn't the right place for a discussion like this. If you want to continue with PMs, fine, but I'd really rather just drop it. Not trying to be rude, just wanna move on.

Eric M.

16. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

You said:
    So what exactly is your point? I take it for what it says. If you did a survey of cops that have done the first, I'm sure the number is high. If you took a survey of those same cops, I'm sure the number for the second is pretty darn low. Your statement is highly flawed. Furthermore, it shows a severe lack of life experience and very little knowledge of humans in general. I guess I should expect such lack of commitment from your and explaining your statement since you can't.................

17. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

Regardless of all the pissin and moaning goin on here( in this thread) I found the original article to be downright hilarious, with no thought to the how well or not these officers may conduct themselves. Sheez, it was suppossed to be funny! :rolleyes:

18. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Hence my first response :waytogo: :waytogo: :waytogo:

19. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

Your quote is from my first post. Keep reading, you'll see my point.

Eric M.

Edit: This is rediculous. You seem more intersted in calling me names than having a discussion. I'm removing this thread from my notifications. You win.

20. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

As a new deputy we did this on early mornigs in the ghetto... but always in black and whites... and at that time the department encouraged realistic training... today no way... too much liability

As a training sergeant I used to do mock training pursuits in the outlying area stations that didnt have civie traffic on the roads... but I guess we could have screwed up and hit someone at some point... (doing things for real isnt the best way to train always... especially when its a trainees first time) We did the whole nine yards ,,,they initiated it,, they called it on the radio.. they terminated it... they broadcast a containment if one was warranted...

I cooled to the idea one day when a trainee slid a couple of hundred feet past me in 4 wheel locked skid ( I was always the pursued vehicle ...and we only used black and whites and I did speed but didnt bust lights etc)....
    anyway...that trainee learned a valuable lesson....

I guess I was lucky and no bad ca ca ever happened..otherwise Im sure I would have been laid out...
    but policework is like that... we lay ourselves out everyday... sometimes its the nature of the job... many times stupidity...

lastly

What I did as a new deputy you could NEVER get away with today.... its a different world

btw... you youngsters need a tampon change...
    like rodney said... why cant we all just get along...

then again he just got popped.... again... for like the 4th or 5th time...this time for domestic violence...... hes claiming PSTD again

You cant win,,,,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.