Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Spongey brakes after (front)Dana 60 install

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Shagnaz, Nov 26, 2002.

1. Shagnaz

Shagnaz 1/2 ton status

I installed my Dana 60 over the weekend and did the bleeding process all around the truck. The brakes aren't firm? I was told to adjust the master cylinder rod where it meets the booster.
    Anyone have this problem and what was done to solve it?

Thanks
    Mike Babich
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. Mreetz

Mreetz 1/2 ton status

When you bled them, did you start with brake farthest from the cylinder first?

3. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

When you removed the old axles, brake fluid dripped out through the brake lines.
    While you were installing the new axle, it might has drained the entire front brake resevoir. If it did, you can continue to bleed your system without any help. You'd have to remove the MC and bench bleed it (pushing the piston in all the way.)
    Just a thought.
    -- Mike

4. 86K5TrailBlazer

86K5TrailBlazer 1/2 ton status

Im with Tex remove the master bench bleed then if you have time gravity feed all the lines or just like normal.

5. Shagnaz

Shagnaz 1/2 ton status

I made sure that the MC res. didn't go dry. I have brakes, but not the way I would like them.
    For bleeding, I use a suction pump (Vacula) to bleed the brakes. Nice way of doing things, plus no mess.

Mike
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

6. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i sugest having a shop power bleed them. it works NICE!!
    cost a bit but makes it easy and gets all the old fluid out at the same time.

otherwise try gravity bleeding for a bit.
    Grant

7. TheBlazerKid

TheBlazerKid 1/2 ton status

i had to get a 1-ton master cylender. just used one of teh same year the axle is (mine is 84) had to cut down the little shaft thing in the booster to get it to fit together but now it works awesome, mine were spongy before i did this too. and we bled them ENDLESSLY until I figured out it wasnt getting enough fluid from the stock master cylender to fill the cylenders in the calipers.