Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Spongey steering - springs or what?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Skigirl, Oct 24, 2002.

1. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Steering is still spongey, have replaced or added the following to the front end:
    Frame weld at steering box
    ORD steering brace
    New tie rods and drag link
    New ball joints
    New steering stabilizer
    ORD greasable poly spring eye bushings
    ORD sway bar disconnect
    ORD HD shackle
    Rebuilt power steering gear and pump
    New Rancho 9000 shocks
    BFG AT 35's - new

Only thing that isn't new are the front springs. They were on the truck when I got it. Since everything else on the truck was a POS, maybe these would be too, tho they are aftermarket - 5 leaf.

When I turn the steering wheel back and forth, the front end of the spring moves front to rear a little, and probably shifts the axle a little too.

So, whaddaya think? Springs or something else?
    /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif
    TIA !

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Do you have a raised steering arm? Close ratio Steering box? My wifes 79 has close ratio and my 75 doesn't. 79 feels darty it's so sensative. It's also stock.

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

You have your answer right there, the spring shouldn't move, it means that the bushings are worn, if they are ORD gresables then check the thread in the begining here they had a problem of splitting, and wearing off fast.

4. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Grimmy: no raised steering arm, don't think I have a close ratio steering box. How would I know?? Just had it rebuilt, asked them to put it a little tighter than MOR, as I do a fair bit of highway driving but don't like a lot of play. Somehow it seems like it has more play now. There's a lag between turning the wheel and response. I'd love mine to be a little more darty.

Ice: Yea, thought about that, but there's like NO evidence of any shredding - looks really clean around the bushings. I suppose there's no other way to tell except to pull em out, but wouldn't that damage them? Then if they aren't shredding, would it matter cuz they'd be trashed in the removal??

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

A raised steering arm would help, even if it doesn't totally cure the vagueness. You want the drag link to be pretty close to parallel with the ground. When it's on a steep angle, it can actually cause the front of truck to lift slightly as you turn the wheel to the right, forcing the steering box up and away from the axle. It will also give you a better turning radius. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif