Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Spongy Brakes after 14 bolt disc conversion on 6.2

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by TK5, Jun 22, 2003.

1. TK5

TK5 1/2 ton status

Just finished my install of my 3/4 ton front and rear axles. Everything is hooked up and brakes have been bled. I am using a 3/4 ton dana 44 and 14 bolt converted to disc brakes Evrything is new pads and calipers. After bleeding the brakes and getting all the air from the lines I still have spongy brakes.

My thoughts is probably the combination valve has something to do with it. Or my master cylinder may be going bad. All this is in an '83 K-5 blazer with a 6.2 diesel with hydro boost.

Any suggestions what I should do now?

I have driven the vehicle at speeds of about 35 mph and seems to stop fairly decent but I feel needs soemthing else to make stop quicker. The bias seems to good between the front rear, but it is hard to tell right now. I really don't want to put it on the highway until I get get this problem solved.

Thanks in advance.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Now that you've driven it a bit...try bleeding once more. I'll bet you find some more air in there. I let my brakes gravity bleed, then I bled them manually and my pedal is "Medium/firm" with the rear disc's.

Rene