Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Spongy Brakes

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by exrider, Oct 13, 2006.

1. exrider

exrider Registered Member

Hey guys my buddy has an 88 Blazer and we did the front brakes today. After we finished the brakes were worse than they were when we started. So we procceded to bleed the front and there is no air in the lines. I have never ran into this problem before and I have been doing brakes for about 15 years. Can you guys give me any ideas on what else could be wrong. Thanks, I can't let a fellow K5er drive like this.

2. bnc04

bnc04 Guest

Is it possible that the lines to the calipers are old, soft and weak? They may be expanding enough to not hold the pressure at the caliper. I think I have this problem and will be doing a brake overhaul which willinclude stainless lines.

HTH
    Brett

3. broc944

broc944 1/2 ton status

What exactly was done to the front brakes? Did you just replace pads?

Could be a few things IMO. Lines, binding calipers, even a bad Master Cylinder.

If the front brakes are weak, can you lock the rear brakes up? I take it you do not have anti-lock brakes on this rig.

4. exrider

exrider Registered Member

Thanks for the ideas to look at. We are going to bleed all 4 wheels and see what comes of it. I am also thinking bad master cylinder, be my buddy doesn't think so. So I will find out tomorrow what will come of his Blazer.

5. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

probably got air in the lines. if you did something that required bleeding the front brakes, they all should have been bled.