Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Spool and Tire Clearance ????

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 70jimmy, Feb 21, 2004.

1. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    I am buying a axle with a spool in the front and originally figured I would have to ditch the spool to make it road friendly.

If you have a spool or welded gears in the front and you are in 2 wheel drive it has no effect correct because the hubs and the transfer case are not engaged. So if I engage the transfer case and only lock one of the hubs will it act like a vehicle with an open diff in front aside from both axle shafts turning? Then when I want the advantage of being locked in front I engage both hubs and I am back to the spool?

Now for tire clearance. the jimmy is under an extensive restofication and I am replacing the rear inner fenderwells due to rust issues. I am considering tubbing the fenderwells. I was wondering if any of you have expierienced tire rubbing on the inner fenderwells with full droop. I will be running 6 inch lift and approx 38 inch tires. I am curious if this would be a worthwhile mod. It would not give the fenderwells any more height just more room horizontally.

Thanks

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    If you have a spool or welded gears in the front and you are in 2 wheel drive it has no effect correct because the hubs and the transfer case are not engaged. So if I engage the transfer case and only lock one of the hubs will it act like a vehicle with an open diff in front aside from both axle shafts turning? Then when I want the advantage of being locked in front I engage both hubs and I am back to the spool?

[/ QUOTE ]
    You are correct, sir!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

the only problem is you are putting alot of stress on that one front axle shaft and you are more prone to break it.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

My second Gen rubs the inside of the rear fenderwell pretty hard at full stuff. That is with 5" of lift and 39.5's. Rim width, backspace and the overall width of the rear diff are all variables that can change that. I could run wheel spacers, but then I'd likely have the tire chewing the body.

Rene

5. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    Now for tire clearance. the jimmy is under an extensive restofication and I am replacing the rear inner fenderwells due to rust issues. I am considering tubbing the fenderwells. I was wondering if any of you have expierienced tire rubbing on the inner fenderwells with full droop. I will be running 6 inch lift and approx 38 inch tires. I am curious if this would be a worthwhile mod. It would not give the fenderwells any more height just more room horizontally.

Thanks

anybody else want to chime in on this one. IT would cost me about $200.00 extra. Just wondering if it is a worthwhile thing to do. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif