Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

spool in a 12bolt?

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by MTPockets, Jan 12, 2001.

1. MTPockets

MTPockets 1/2 ton status

i need a full case locker to replace the eaton posi unit i have. spool is affordable, but what should i expect in the way of breakage?
    thanks,
    robbie
    g'ville,fl
    ps. driving the k5 only to wheel or work on.

2. TRY TO SAVE FOR A 14 BOLT
    I BROKE 5 12 BOLTS IN ONLY 2YEARS
    I'VE HAD LINCOLN LOCKERS GOVLOC DETROIT LOCKERS
    ALL GEAR RATIOS TOO
    I KEEP BREAKING SHAFTS AND ESPECIALLY RING N PINIONS
    DOES ANYBODY MAKE A SPOOL FOR A TRUCK 12 BOLT?
    ITS DIFFERENT THAN A CAR 12 BOLT

3. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

With a spool, I'm guessing the next weak link is a shaft, maybe the ring and pinion, depending on ratio. I'd recommend the Detroit, but they are more $. Letting the diff unlock when it coasts is nice sometimes, and is a lot friendlier on the street.
    Maybe this is a good subject for the main board: Who's broken a 12 bolt, how was it set up, tire size, horsepower, wheeling style, etc. If I was keeping the shorter tires, I'd have looked very seriously at keeping mine.

[​IMG]
    SW-ORD

4. I've broken one, twice! I have an '87, stock engine, 33 inch BFG MTs on stock suspension running 3.43 I believe. I have a driving style that makes cops jealous. Anyway, first time, pinion bearing was bad for over a year, then I did my Ivan Stewart impression, I had two loud pops, but kept driving for another 1500 miles. Got it rebuilt and then the horror started. Take it back to the mechanic cause the pinion seal kept leaking. New one went out a day or two later; then finally the rearend let loose. Instead of asking me what I wanted done (Currie 9 inch), the jerk found another 12 bolt in a junkyard and slapped it in. I have a $1200 used 12 bolt now and a mechanic on my list of "people as honorable as Bill".

5. Stephen

I think a lot of the strength of a 12 bolt comes in the strength of the housing and the parts in it. Stock stuff does not last. But, you put in a detroit and a good gearset and a set of good axles and you should have good luck with it up to 35's. Don't be surprised when stock spiders let go........

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    [​IMG]
    SW-ORD

6. I got my spool from west coast differentials, you'll need clip eliminators though. it adds up to about$375

7. BREAKER

BREAKER Registered Member

I was just wondering what if any luck ya'll had with the ARB's in the 12 bolts? Ive used every posi and locker known to man and beast but would like switchablity. Spools in 12 bolts worked good for me as long as i had moly shafts and c clip eliminators. Maybe should look at the full floater kits, Stephen could fill you in.

Get in, Sit down, Shut up and Hang on!

8. Stephen

A good basic setup is a detroit with good alloy semi floater axle shafts, maybe a support cover and a truss. From there, to look at the spool, you should also look into the floater kit, and we may be able to fix you up with a 33 spline shaft, then you need to really pay attention to the diff setup, and watch your ring and pinion ratio. I'm leery of the c-clip eliminator kits due to bearing life problems with some of them. not really familiar with them, but heard some bad stories.

Best bang for the buck: buy the axles I had in my K5, they're all set up and I'm selling them for the price of the parts. (just had to throw that in)

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    [​IMG]
    SW-ORD