Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Spool in a gov-loc carrier?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Kyle89K5, Jun 30, 2004.

1. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

I just got a spool for my 14. Didn't want to mess with trying to weld it up, and I don't like the characteristics of a Detroit, so spool it was. While I was talking with the guy, I asked if he had considered making a spool to fit the gov-loc carrier. He said maybe...

So what do you guys think. With the amount of gov-loc carriers out there, I think it would be a decent idea.

I know I'm going to get 1/2 a dozen *you should just weld the **** out of it and wheel* comments, but that's not what I was after, I didn't want to worry about a weld failing down the road.

2. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

I think that is a great idea. I think we would all be surprised with the number of gov-locs there are floating around. And if you can get a spool for about the same price as having to track down and purchase an open carrier for the 14 bolt, the gov-loc replacement spool would be the way to go...

Oh, you also have the cost involved with setting up the new gears and shim kit on the open carrier, unless you can do that yourself! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif And don't forget the cost of the detroit if you go that way instead of welding the spiders.

You could spend a couple hundred for a gov-loc replacement spool or $150-$200 for a new open carrier, $50 for the shim kit to install the new carrier, and $400 for a Detroit.
    So let's see, $200 for a spool or up to $650 trying to setup a Detroit in a gov-loc'ed 14 bolt.

3. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    ... I don't like the characteristics of a Detroit...

[/ QUOTE ]

What is it about a Detroit that you don't like? (not trying to start an arguement, just curious /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif )

4. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

I'll tell you what I don't like. I don't like driving down the road, letting off the gas and the K5 yanks to one side because the Detroit unlocked. Then I push on the gas and it pulls back to the other direction because it locked back up.

If you have a spool, at least the road manners would be consistent.

On the trail, I have no issues with the Detroit - it has never failed me...

Kyle, sorry for jumping in here, but that is my experience...

5. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    ... I don't like the characteristics of a Detroit...

[/ QUOTE ]

What is it about a Detroit that you don't like? (not trying to start an arguement, just curious /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif )

[/ QUOTE ]

Call me a simpleton. I like the *don't think about it* approach. The feel of a detroit makes me nervous. I picked a spool over the detroit for *GET THIS* the street manners. I know what a spool is going to do, I don't with a detroit. The coast feel of a detroit makes me nervous, the lock when I get on the gas in a turn bugs the FOOL out of me. I have just never felt comfortable with it. If ARB had ever came out with their 14 bolt locker, I would have saved every dime I had for one, but I've been waiting for 5 years...

6. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I got a spool for a 10bolt I'll sell ya! /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

7. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I got a spool for a 10bolt I'll sell ya! /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope to never run another 10 bolt in all my life. I'm still running a 44 in the front, but that will *HOPEFULLY* soon change. 10 bolts are the DEBIL /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

8. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Kyle

[/ QUOTE ]
    ............^

thats why I offered

9. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Kyle

[/ QUOTE ]
    ............^

thats why I offered

[/ QUOTE ]

I have NO idea what you are talking about /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Guess I should have changed that, it might have something to do with the front being a 4.56 44 and the rear a 4.10 14. I REALLY need to get that new 14 in /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

10. nvrenuf

New and improved -

[ QUOTE ]
    Kyle

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

11. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    New and improved -

[ QUOTE ]
    Kyle

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Not all of us can stumble through the swamp and land on a Dana 60's /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

You need to go over to OFN and by a bunch of coffee mugs, that will help me buy my 60 /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

BTW, you don't NEED a crawl ratio for the swamps....... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

12. nvrenuf

[ QUOTE ]
    Not all of us can stumble through the swamp and land on a Dana 60's /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

You need to go over to OFN and by a bunch of coffee mugs, that will help me buy my 60 /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

BTW, you don't NEED a crawl ratio for the swamps....... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't help it with the D60's, I'm a pack rat. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

As for the crawl ratio, I'm just trying to play catch up with you climbers. Besides, I can always leave one in HI so the tires can fly. Just trying to become a multi-tasker. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I can't help it with the D60's, I'm a pack rat. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, me too /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif I've got 60's in the bathtub I've got so many /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif Know where I can get a deal on more /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    As for the crawl ratio, I'm just trying to play catch up with you climbers. Besides, I can always leave one in HI so the tires can fly. Just trying to become a multi-tasker. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Tell me about it, I'm trying to multitask my Blazer, and so far, the only MULTI, in the mix is thousands I'm gonna spend...

On your crawl, do a 465/klune/241. As low as you want, with some good high gear stuff for the mud /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. nvrenuf

[ QUOTE ]

Yea, me too /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif I've got 60's in the bathtub I've got so many /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif Know where I can get a deal on more /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You too?! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    On your crawl, do a 465/klune/241. As low as you want, with some good high gear stuff for the mud /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought seriously about a Klune but just couldn't find consistant info on what I'd need so I baled on it. With the 465/Doubler combo I'll still be around 150:1 so I figure that'll do in a pinch. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

What diff will you use when you get some Rockies?

15. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You too?! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought seriously about a Klune but just couldn't find consistant info on what I'd need so I baled on it. With the 465/Doubler combo I'll still be around 150:1 so I figure that'll do in a pinch. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

What diff will you use when you get some Rockies?

[/ QUOTE ]

What diff? Spool rear, maybe detroit front.

For my tranny/case I'm sick to my stomach trying to figure that out. I wanted that 465/241 that rat was selling, but I don't have the $$$ and I've heard he may have found a buyer for the 465 /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif I'm still thinking about a 465/klune/241 with a big block and rocks. That should be just about right /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif althought that 5.1 atlas looks REAL nice /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

What I NEED is to find a deal on a 91 V3500 crew cab like someone I know in Alabama so I can quit driving my truck everyday...

16. nvrenuf

Have you considered cutting brakes for the K5? I got to see some in action last Sunday and they are COOL!! You'd need a Detroit though so it could unlock and pivot.

Yeah I was thinking about the 4spd, we'll see. I'm in the same boat as you, after ordering the Doubler I'm broke so I can't swing too much. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Stop shopping for a 91 and find a newer diesel! I love my crew cab and it's fun to drive but that thing is THIRSTY!! /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

17. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Have you considered cutting brakes for the K5? I got to see some in action last Sunday and they are COOL!! You'd need a Detroit though so it could unlock and pivot.

Yeah I was thinking about the 4spd, we'll see. I'm in the same boat as you, after ordering the Doubler I'm broke so I can't swing too much. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Stop shopping for a 91 and find a newer diesel! I love my crew cab and it's fun to drive but that thing is THIRSTY!! /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I had thought about them, and with a rig my size, I will prb NEED the extra help, but I'm also going rear stear /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I want that 465, but I'd have to sell out my 700 to some REALLY nice person who was willing to send me the money, then wait till I got it installed, THEN I could give them my stuff. Tough having to DRIVE this thing every day.

I stopped and drove an 01 crew cab diesel and LOVED it. The price wasn't bad, but I'm still haveing a hard time getting away from my love affair with the square body style. I'm sure when it's all said and done, I'll end up with the newer, unless you want to donate your truck to the cause.... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Boy I tell ya, aren't we a pair /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

18. nvrenuf

[ QUOTE ]
    ...but I'm also going rear stear

[/ QUOTE ]

In that case, you suck! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

As for donating the truck, you don't want it it's just an old beat up, ragged out clunker. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

19. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    ...but I'm also going rear stear

[/ QUOTE ]

In that case, you suck! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

As for donating the truck, you don't want it it's just an old beat up, ragged out clunker. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif I BET!!!! It sure looks like a ragged out clunker...

20. nvrenuf

All the pics are chopped, I've been working on my Paint skills. It's actually an orange Subaru Brat with those bling bling spinner wheels.