Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Spool in front 10 bolt

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by cegusman, Nov 28, 2001.

1. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Waht are the pro's and con's of putting a spool up front. Or does that put to much stress on the axles.

Houston, TX

2. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Way too much stress for a 10 bolt! Plus, you will not be able to turn at all!! I know they cost more, but that's why I went with the ARB in my front 10 bolt - I get to choose when it is engaged and when it is not! And if you ever drove the truck on ice or snow, you would have a hell of a time trying to drive it in 4WD!! To me, that sounds like a bad idea...

3. Danswift79

Danswift79 Registered Member

I have a ten bolt spool and I am way hesitant to Install it. Like K said, for some reason your steering goes. I guess when I am ready to swap in a different axle, I'll throw it in and see what happens, but from what i've heard it doesn't work out well.

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/danswift79> My Photos </a>

<font color=green> God Blessed Us With General Motors </font color=green>

4. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

just lemme know what brand of axles you will be buying so i can buy stock in them[​IMG]

-zakk

High Skool cruising poser 4x4 with gold plated curb feelers[​IMG]

[​IMG] CK5's MOAB 2002 OR BUST!! [​IMG]

5. greg83k5

greg83k5 1/2 ton status

ice or snow here in houston is not much of a problem.......

a spooled front will push like crazy, especially with front tires loaded up with mud and such....

snow and ice..... whaaaa?? man today was the first time it got into the 40's, i think....

greg

6. Liberator

Liberator 1/2 ton status

I've been running a mini-spool in my front (10 bolt) for about 6 mo now. It's a very cheap alternative to a locker. If you have the money for a locker, get one! With a spooled front it's impossible to turn on hard or semi-hard surfaces without unlocking one or both of the hubs. Unlocking only one side has never done me any good eventhough No Show84 swears by it! This means I'm normally in 2wd, making the 14 bolt and Detroit do all the work until I really need extra traction.
    This last weekend we went to Tuttle Creek. Lot's of mud! The spool worked fine in the mud. Actually, it worked great! I would even go as far to say, if you're only running mud, spool the front. If you're doing any other type of wheeling, such as myself, invest in a locker!
    Until, I get the funds, I'll be running the spool. I haven't broken anything, yet. I think if I had a stronger than stock steering system, I would have breakage. The resistance the spool creates over-powers my stock steering equipment greatly reducing my turning radius and not allowing me to put too much stress on steering components. Well, that's my explanation anyway!
    Hope this helps a little. If you have any more questions, feel free to send me a PM.

Bo

If it breaks, it wasn't good enough!
    http://coloradok5.com/gallery/liberator

7. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I really don't think a spool would lead to any more breakage than any other type of true locker. The biggest issue would be turning since something like a Detroit or Lock-Right does sometimes unlock if you are not applying any power when turning.

8. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Thanks everyone, I found a a cheap 3/4t dana 44, and a 3/4t 14 bolt I am going to swap in.

Houston, TX