Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Spool installation

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ramses, Jul 26, 2006.

1. ramses

ramses 1/2 ton status

I think im gonna put a spool in my 60, is it very hard to install one? I have to change the ring and pinion anyway, what else is involved in installing a spool?

2. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

for a full spool its just like setting up any other diff

3. ramses

ramses 1/2 ton status

Can anyone go into detail? I guess a spool would eliminate the spider gears?

4. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

This is a full spool. Mini spools replace the spiders I believe, and you reuse your differential casing.

[​IMG]

Basically pull out your diff. and put this back in it's place. Axle splines go in each side and the ring gear bolts on. Then it is just set up like normal. I got lucky as I was putting the same ring gear back in and all it took was turning the collars a little to get a good pattern. My first time putting gears in so I just basically watched my buddy do it so I am not much help on the proper set up techniques.

5. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

You said that you are going to change the ring and pinion, but need to know how to install a spool.......?

I would be more concerned about getting the gears right.

6. ramses

ramses 1/2 ton status

Well ive done ring and pinions before but ive never installed a spool so I just wanted to see what I was getting into if I go that route. I unsderstand how a spool works but not a mini spool, I dont plan on ever using one but I would like to know how they work. So basically I just bolt the ring gear to the spool and the axles go in it and it eliminates the carrier and spider gears all together? I didnt know if you still needed to put the carrier in or not, I guess that wouldnt really make sense though.