Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Spool on the Street

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by WARP1, Nov 15, 2000.

1. WARP1

WARP1 Registered Member

Does anyone run a spool on the street? 4Wheel wrote an article praising the new spool they installed in their truck. They said it was better than their lock because it didn't have the jerk associated with the locker locking and unlocking around turns. Other than wearing out tires what would be the down side of running a spool. You sure wouldn't have any more differential failures.

2. Not a good idea. Basically, your rear tires will be spinning at the same time. Therefore, you will of course, as you mentioned, wear them out sooner, and it would be even more dangerous while making turns when you are driving in the rain.

3. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

You will be fine. My friend(used him as the guinea pig) is running a mini spool in the rear of his 12 bolt. He has been running it for about 3-4 months now and his right foot is bigger than Ronald McDonalds! He hasn't had any problems with it and he said the only time he knows it is back there is when once in a while he hears the back tires give a little chirp in the corners.
    Other than that, he has had no problems in the rain and the mud!

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

4. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I really don't see why a spool would be any more dangerous than something like a Detroit or Lock-Rite when driving on the street. Think about it, the other lockers are pretty much locked solid anytime you are putting any type of power to the rearend and really only unlock when coasting. My point is, you shouldn't have too much trouble spinning out in a corner while coasting (or light throttle), whether you have a locker or spool. If you gas it around a corner, which would make the truck spin out, the lockers would be locked solid (and probably cause a big jerk when they lock) just like a spool so I don't see what the difference would be.
    The same theory goes for people who say you will break more parts off-road with a spool as compared to a locker. Again, anytime you are putting enough power to the axles to break them the locker would be locked up solid just like the spool.

5. Emmettology 101

I am with you 6.2! How could a spool be harder on parts when wheeling? I can see where people would be concerned when turning at slow speed in a parking lot and the spool would differentiate(sp?), but other than that, there wouldn't be mch of a difference!!

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

6. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

I'm going with the spool setup in the rear and front, can't wait.
    Emmett...
    Hey just got back in town, sorry for the delay. The store I was telling you about sells the spools for $119 (too much) and they didnt carry one for a dana 44.[​IMG]

<font color=blue>Professional <font color=red>JEEP EATER</font color=red>, it's a population control thing.</font color=blue>

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

If you like to steer while 4-wheeling, don't put a spool in the front axle. I've got friends that get out and unlock one front hub just to be able to easily turn on switchbacks with a Detroit Locker in the front axle. I can't imagine what it would be like to have a spool in the front!

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com

8. Emmettology 101

Full spools for the 44's are around $180-$210 depending on where you buy it from.

Mini spools are a little cheaper for the 44 and are about $120. Same goes for the mini spool for the 12 Bolt, they are about $120.

:)

Mike [​IMG]

9. Emmettology 101

So then what are you suggesting to get? I would rather spend around $180 for a spool and have to unlock the hub when I turn then spend $500+ to do the same thing!
    A spool wouldn't be any different than a locked Detroit!

Mike [​IMG]

10. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Get a Powr-Lok front diff...course, you can only get one for a Dana 44 & 60s, they don't make em for 10 bolts. Powr-Loks are the best clutch type post ever invented.

ken

11. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

Newbie question in a short explanation whats a spool? lol i know what a locker is but not a spool

[​IMG] SlyDog [​IMG]

12. 88glassbed

88glassbed Registered Member

I ran a spool on the street for 3 years before finally breaking an axle. Was a little tricky in the rain, and turning corners felt like the e-brake was on, but it sure hooked up going straight.

13. 88glassbed

88glassbed Registered Member

Solid aluminum "spool" shaped section with no internal or moving parts that replaces the differential and effectively locks both right and left side axles together all the time. Imagine a go-cart with a straight solid axle and a sprocket. . . .

14. grtwhite

grtwhite 1/2 ton status

Anyone know if they make a spool for a 14 bolt ff? Just wondering, thanks - Jay

15. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

thanks glassbed aprecciate it

[​IMG] SlyDog [​IMG]

16. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

88gb: What vehicle did you have the spool in, what axle, and what size tires? Thanks.

Fencepost eater

17. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Hi Emmett, neither a Detroit Locker or a spool are much fun in the front end. But at least the Detroit unlocks itself sometimes. The spool won't ever let go, so would be less fun (IMHO). An ARB or the new Ox cable locker would be the hot ticket for the front end. They're the best of both worlds (though I've been on many a trail where I've seen ARB's that wouldn't engage for one reason or another). [​IMG]

I can't even imagine trying to wheel somewhere like Moab with a spool in the front end.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com

18. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

No spools for the 14FF, just a lincoln locker (welded spider gears)

19. rubiconchevy

rubiconchevy Registered Member

Hey HarryH3, what's this new 0x cable locker thing. I'm interested in hearing any info you have. Thanks

20. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

It's called the Ox Locker and from what I've heard they're pretty mich bulletproof. The only problem is that it was designed by heep people so they're only making it for itty bitty dana axles right now. That could also be the reason people say they're bulletproof, they haven't been tested in a real vehicle yet [​IMG] The website is http://www.oxtrax.com

Joe
    RIT Mini-Baja http://www.rit.edu/~bajawww
    Team Mudnuts http://www.mudnuts.org