Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

spool up front???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ScoobyDann, Aug 7, 2001.

1. ScoobyDann

ScoobyDann 1/2 ton status

El Paso, TX (Far West Texas near Las Cruses
    What do you guys think of a spool up front? I know most of my friends think I'm crazy but what are the real disadvantages besides steering. im eventually going to a dana 60 but in due time so I have to live w/ the 10. the reason im thinking spool is cause i have one in my hands right now and its free. would it be any different if I were to look for a used lock-rite or something. anyway--lend me your thoughts

sun desert offroad http://community.webshots.com/user/scoobydann

2. Rockjunkies

Rockjunkies 1/2 ton status

Personal preference I think. I know that you know all the trade offs. But I think that I would weld the spider gears instead of a spool. If done right it will be just as strong and you wouldn't have to set up gears.

Keep it simple!

3. ScoobyDann

my bad--its a mini spool

sun desert offroad http://community.webshots.com/user/scoobydann

4. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

The only draw back to totally locking the front end (besides putting extra stress on u-joints, axles, etc) is steering. If you get in to a tight spot, you can get out and unlock one hub to help you turn. If you are going to go to a 60 eventually, might as well put in the spool and get some use out of it. When you are done.....put the spool up for sale here.

Real four wheelers don't need tools to remove body panels, paint, tail lights..etc.
    P.S. Ask me why it is called "BODY SNATCHER"

5. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

put the spool out back.
    up front wouldnt work in my climate. some times need 4hi on the street and the Powerlok is bad enough, a spool would negate the idea
    i never had the 'unlock one front hub' work out for me

6. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

I think a spool in a front 10 bolt would be bad news if you plan on getting into rocks and stuff. The turning radius will be horrible and the stress on those little 1/2 ton pieces will be bad for their short lives! [​IMG] At least with my ARB I can turn it off until I absolutely need it, and in the turns just leave it off...with the spool you would be engaged all the time - on a 10 bolt that could mean lots of broken parts.

Just my .02 - but if you do it, let us know what happens! With careful driving my 10 bolt has lasted me over 5 years with 35s and now an ARB, not even a broken u-joint...

7. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

Will the mini spool fit without removing the ring gear? If it does, try it. If it does not work, all you are out is your time, gear lube and a gasket or two (Or silicone). Then you could post your findings. One downside I have heard about mini spools is that you are limited by the strength of the stock carrier, just as you would be with a lock rite. Try it.

8. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

I 2nd kapanza

Stuck is a state of mind!

Mudstud
    76K5 sb400/350/203parttime/3.73-D44/GM12 locked

9. snap snap snap!!! ask brians 60 about this. he put one in a dana 44 and broke a lot of stub shafts. plus there was the steering thing. i think if all you did was hit the mud pit it would be ok. for trail running it might lead to too much breakage. just my opinion.

<font color=blue>Striving for K5 world dominance</font color=blue>

10. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

A guy in my club blew the spider gears in his '79 Bronco on a trail ride last month. The fix was to weld it up solid. I am going to see how things hold up for him before I make my decision. This will be a great test for me-similar vechicials on the same terain. If his holds up I may go for it after I do crossover steering.

Jim '80 GMC & '73 Blazer
    Tread Lightly!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.gmck5.rockcrawler.com>www.gmck5.rockcrawler.com</a>

11. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Concerning strength and breakage, I don't think you would have any more problems than a Lock-rite or something similiar you cause.

12. ScoobyDann

thats what I was thinking 6.2---because when your going up the rocks you are on the gas--so the locker is locked--right--the only problem is when im turning that ther is more stress on the weak links (granted it'll probably blow the 10, but i think i can make it last longer by driving good.) anyone please correct me if im wrong.

Hut in the well is goin on in here?

sun desert offroad <a target="_blank" href=http://4x4.alloffroad.com>4x4.alloffroad.com</a>