Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

spool/welded or locker

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by nstarry, May 6, 2004.

1. nstarry

nstarry 1/2 ton status

okay do they make a spool for 14 bolt ff and if they do is there that much STREET diference between the spool/welded and the locker ? ( you already know you are going to kill tires with both)

and at least the spool/welded is more predictible then the locker

and welding does it hold up ??

2. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

I have mine welded and love it-- i weldedd it up so it looks like a big ball of metal and 2 openings for the axle shaft to slide in.

the spool is "almost here" according to the pirate board. ther are some pictures and it looks very stout and when it does come out and is tested i will probably go with that for some peice of mind.

the locker choices are short and sweet. detroit. simple, strong, cheap. what more could you ask for if you are going to street drive it.

the welded and spool definately chew up and spit out tires like you wouldnt believe.

hope this helps

3. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

Yes there is a lot of difference between spool/welded and locker and the tires does wear a lot more with the spool/welded diff. Exept for the added tirewear I have not had any problems with my welded diff. but you need to weld it up to the carrier, if you only weld the spiders they will break. Regarding handling, I like driving in the mountains better with the diff. welded than I did with my locker, when driving on small twisty mountain roads you are on and off the gas all the time and the unlocking and locking makes the truck feel a little unstable sometimes.

4. pismorat

pismorat 1/2 ton status

Anybody got pics of their welded diff? /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

5. nstarry

nstarry 1/2 ton status

ya this is what i was wondering see the locker go s in and out and creates a unstable ride you would think that would start stressing things also, and they eat tires quite bad to right??
    everyone says there is a loud engagement (somthing is bangin)
    thats never good ( somthing is stressing )
    I live in minnesota and ice and snow is 8 mounths of the year and i am scared of the suprise factor of the locker

how bad does the welded really eat tires is it 50,000 mile tire becomes a 10,000 mile tire????

Thanks for all the input guys /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. SCOOBYDANNN

[ QUOTE ]
    but you need to weld it up to the carrier

[/ QUOTE ]

dont do this to the 14ff---just weld the spiders to the crossshaft and the spiders togather---search i think "kidjethro" for some pictures. i think (don't hve show in these here parts) welded and spool would want to try and get away from you. ther rear is gonna want to swap sides w/ the front. i think a posi (possibly the one that is in there( (gov-lock)) would be better suited for snow driving.

7. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    search i think "kidjethro" for some pictures.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here

8. SCOOBYDANNN

exactly /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

9. nstarry

nstarry 1/2 ton status

I know the truck is going to get stupid in the snow and ice(locked or welded) my thought is if it is welded its always stupid ya know what I mean I dont know if i am saying this right

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I have run a locked rig in the snow and personally I like it even better than an open diff. Much harder to break two tires loose than one (although when you do, you're going sideways).

11. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Mine is welded and I drive it every day. I like it. tires chirp around the corners but my kids think its cool. It's nice though You mash the pedal and those sx's really dig in.
    A friend of mine has a detroit and that thing can get annoying. I know yall like your detroits and I'm not saying I don't just the banging of engagement gets old.

12. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

quit screwing around, with the lockers go for the spools you'll never regret it /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif

13. lifethroughdeath

lifethroughdeath 1/2 ton status

[hijack] here's my ignorance for yea, but what exactly is a spool, and how does it work? i am completely familiar with a welded rear, and a locker, but a spool? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Thanks Nate /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

A spool is like a welded diff in function, just a little nicer in appearance.

The term, "Lincoln locker" should really be, "Lincoln spool".

15. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

Every time one of these posts comes up I hear good things about detroits front and rear. This time it's different, everyone's saying SPOOL SPOOL (welded) SPOOL SPOOL!!! So tell me now, why am I spending almost a grand on detroits front and rear when a welded 14 bolt is free and a spool for the D60 is $180???? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

16. nstarry

nstarry 1/2 ton status

okay nobody has even hinted to tread wear on the tires other then the fact that the welded/spool is worse! how much, am i going to be buying tires every mounth or six or year?? this is the big thing for me I am not rich BUT ITS GOING TO GET TRACTION!! O yes it will /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

17. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Okay, my experience with a detroit is as follows.

If you accelerate through a corner the detroit will lockup and the tires will chirp.

If you coast through the corner with no skinny pedal applied they should not lock up.

With it welded or spooled they lock up all the time. Skinny pedal input does not apply to this equation.

How much difference is the tire wear? Well it depends on how you drive, how much you drive and if you drive alot in town on pavement. Nobody knows how much more its gona wear the tires for anybody. If you drive strictly on highways with 99 percent of your miles being straightline it won't make a hill of beans difference. If you drive in town with alot of turning it will wear more. What you need to do to control this if you weld or spool is rotate your tires frequently and if you have a spare throw it into them mix as well. This will spread the wear across all the tires rather than just two. Tires should be rotated anyway.

I think your tires should last at least a year but I don't know how you drive. I believe mine will last at least a year maybe two. My mileage is low.

These are my opinions. That is about all I got for ya.

18. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

I have a locker in my 14bolt and love it and mine isnt loudat all on the street, if I had to do it again it would be the locker

19. SCOOBYDANNN

[ QUOTE ]
    okay nobody has even hinted to tread wear on the tires other then the fact that the welded/spool is worse! how much

[/ QUOTE ]

i belive this was in the second post.

[ QUOTE ]
    the welded and spool definately chew up and spit out tires like you wouldnt believe

[/ QUOTE ]

for an example--me:

welded in the back, had my 42's for a about 2 years, driven about ???5k a year. the rears were at half tread and the fronts were at 3/4. I guessetamated this by the grooves

20. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

I have a little over 1 year on my BFG 35" MTs and I would say half of the tread is left. I expect mine to last at least until the end of this year before I need to change tires. This is on my daily driver.