Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1. Milenko72276

Milenko72276 Registered Member

I have a 72' 3/4 with about 9" of suspension and soon to have 39.5" swamper boggers.The truck is going to see a little street use,but mostly mud.I'm putting a 4.57 with locker in the rear and I was wondering what some opinions would be on a spool or a lock-right in the front.It has a dana 44 with the big hubs and a 205/350 transfer

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I would never put a spool in the front (I do have one in the rear). The steering would just suck too much. Also w/ that big of a tire I wouldn't run a locker either (actually I wouldn't run that large a tire w/ a D44). It just sounds like a good way to break axle shafts. One of the SoCal guys has a lock-right in his 3/4 ton external hub D44 and hasen't broken anything yet. He is has been running 36" TSL radials.

3. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I would leave the front open. 72THING ran a D44 for a little while with 39TSLs. He went through two sets of spider gears, all the axleshafts, and both steering Ujoints. Save your money for a D60, or at least Chromoly shafts and CTM racing Ujoints. If you do that, a lockrite will still be stronger than the weakest link....the hub. An automatic locker will let you turn normally in two wheel drive, but will be difficult in four. A limited slip would be a good option for your front. It will give you much better traction, but no shockloading.