Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Spools oh spools

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Seventy4Blazer, Aug 23, 2001.

1. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i was wondering if anybody was running spools front and rear? i want to with a 14FF. but i know it would be best to have hubs in the back...
    so my questions are, Anyone with dual spools?
    and, anyone seen a Hub kit for a 14bFF?
    Grant

1974 Chevy Blazer Cheyanne. but it is on 33's now, with saggy old springs. i am in Yuma Arizona if ya got any parts for me.

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I wouldn't put them in anything except my lawnmower.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

3. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

I know two guys with them in the rear, and they say that the spools really don't show up on the street except in tight turns.

Lift It, Lock It, LIVE IT!!!

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

They don't make a spool for a 14 bolt...so AFAIK your choices are open, gov-lock, Detroit or welded. My 14 bolt has been welded for the last 13,000 miles. My Jimmy is a daily driver and weekend wheeler...other than tight parking lots and a bit of understeer its pretty seamless. I'd prolly stick with a detroit up front though...

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

5. konajoe

konajoe 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The 14bolt in my 79K10 runs a Detroit &amp; The 60ff in my 68K20 will have a spool in it the next time I tear it apart.

Joe
    79K10
    68K20

6. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I also have a welded diff (acts the same as a spool) in my 14 bolt FF. The truck doesn't get driven on a daily basis but on the road you really do not notice it all (yet to see snow and ice yet, but I'm not worried). You get a little tire chirp in parking lots and pulling out onto the street sometimes, but personally it does not bother me.

7. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Lawn mowers run open diffs to avoid tearing up the grass.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

8. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i have wanted to weld my diffs on my blazer for a long time. thing is i know a spool is stronger. and more reliable. if i do decide to weld them my only question is, can i do it with the carrier in the housing? i know i would have to be carefull not to hit the housing but will the heat warp anything? or deteriate the bearings. i know i would need to pull the shafts out....
    but anything else?
    Grant

1974 Chevy Blazer Cheyanne. but it is on 33's now, with saggy old springs. i am in Yuma Arizona if ya got any parts for me.

9. White Knight

White Knight 1/2 ton status

I welded the side gears to the carrier, ran about a 1 inch weld, went to the other side did same, rotated the carrier did the same procedure again until I had weld all I could get too.
    Make damn sure you get all the spatter and flux chunks out of there....I ran mine for about 2 hours drained it and put in fresh oil.....(also cleaned the whole inside housing with brake cleaner before I started)...check and make sure you have no gas leaks DUH!! stranger things have happened and gasoline isn't very forgiving.

Veni Sancte Spiritus
    Da Pacem Cordium
    White Knight

10. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

You can also take the spiders out, weld them up, and stick them back in. Than if you deside you don't like it you could go to a detroit. I thinke tRusty has them done this way....I think I will also do mine this way as soon as I get a 14FF.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>

11. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Yup, thats what I did to my 14 bolt. roughly 13,000 street miles and about 8 or 9 wheelin trips with no problems.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>